Hybrid View

Default Protien Patty Feeding

Why do we feed protien pattys? I do because somebody I know and respect does, but do I need to?

I want to be frugal and spend only what I have to in order to get hives thru the winter, in South Carolina, and to be able to split as many as I can in the Spring before taking them back North. Many of my hives are made up w/ a deep and a medium and the rest are doble deeps. The hives are quite strong rigt now and of good weight. I have all the honey supers off of them and they have had two mite treatments, a cpl yds got MAQS and the rest got Apigaurd, then after a cpl weeks, when the supers came off I treated w/ mite strips. I will be taking them to SC the later half of November. I want the queens to have a brood break.

In the Spring, March I will be taking 200 colonies to blueberry pollination in NC. I know I will need to feed syrup, because there is no nectar during the time they are in the blueberrys. I'm wondering what the quality of blueberry pollen is. Should I give them a protien patty too, at that time?

South Carolina pollen is pretty good for building up and the nectar flows in March and april can be pretty good, sufficiently so. So, the hives I don't take to NC should do alright nectar/honeywise.

I hope to take the 450 I have now, get them through the winter and bring home 600 or more. When they come back North they will go into apple orchards. Last Spring I treated for mites while cols were in the blueberrys and then I treated all of them when they went into the apples. Being pretty much isolated while in the blueberrys, not near any other hives, I don't feel the need to mite treat while there, but want to treat in the Spring.

So, I'm wondering what I really need to do to maximize effective expenditures. When to treat at the right time and spend as little as possible.

Sorry if that came out somewhat rambling.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Default Re: Protien Patty Feeding

Mark,

To answer your question… I don’t know.

From feeding trials, I see the greatest benefit from feeding patties and syrup during growth periods and or shortages. I like to work with the bees and help move them along when they are in their own natural growth cycle. Put enough sugar in patties and bees will take them any time. But will really use them during spring build up, especially on the days when they cannot get out and forage in the early spring.

I tend to use protein patties on the cell builders, mostly as insurance and on new splits to facilitate growth. Adult bees still need protein, but the majority is used for brood rearing and growth.

Larger operations may be in a slightly different position and use patties more often to provide greater insurance and promote growth at less than optimal times of the season. Once a colony depletes its stored pollen reserves, the next step is body protein reserves. Bringing a colony back from the edge of starvation is challenging and takes a great deal of time and resources to get that colony back on track and even more time to become productive again. Keeping bees well fed and healthy is no different than keeping a dairy cow well fed and healthy for milk production…

Joe
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Thanks Joe. I guess I understand what you mean, but it used to be that syrup or sugar was all that was needed. Now I'm not all that sure of when to feed patties to achieve my goals. Many I know feed now or actually in about a month. But they are building up for almond pollination. My bees need to be strong for blueberries a month later than almonds, roughly, and for splitting in March and April. That's what I am working towards now.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

the only reason I feed em is to get them built for the almonds. HUGE difference in amount of bees going into winter with and w/o pollen sub. More bees going into winter=more bees in feb ready for almonds= money. If you have lots of fall pollen then there is no point in feeding but I don't see much pollen in my area.

Maybe its just my sub recipe that makes the diff

A personal recipe? Or do you use manufactured pattys?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Mark:

You might want to look up logistic equations that are often used in conservation work.
    They'll help you to estimate many of the variables that you're trying to get a handle on.

Or, you can put the pollen sub/patties on now, and then use the results as a baseline for any future efforts.

At around a buck a pound, I'm not sure why this might affect your margins in a big way, unless you're looking at the expensive stuff.

WLC.

PS-aren't patties a problem in SHB territory?
    Last edited by WLC; 10-07-2012 at 07:40 AM.