Default Anyone have problems with yellowjackets this yr.

For the last 3 days I have yellowjackets all around my hives. Today a hive actually went on the attack due to the little pests trying to rob the hive. They were washboarding and flat out killing them has to be 50 to 75 dead around the hive.

Default Re: Anyone have problems with yellowjackets this yr.

Hornets and yellow jackets are terrible here this year. In fact, bald faced hornets built a nest in the maple above my hives. After treating it with bird shot and flame, they still rebuilt and continue to try to rob.

I noticed my hive was trying to get robbed for the last two days. The smell of honey and the warm days and cold nights are driving the robbers to at least try to get MORE stores for the winter.
    I have some russian guards.... the robbers left.
    Those russians are scrappers!

I have seen more yellow jackets at my hives this year, and large sand hornets which arrived about a month ago. The bees do not have a chance against the sand hornets which hover in front of the hives and snatch bees in midair as they are coming and going. Bottle traps helped a lot, I caught dozens of the sand hornets.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

I have had a lot of problems with yellow jackets around my hives. Fortunately the bees are able to keep them out of the hives, but it makes them very defensive. Next year I am going to get some yellow jacket traps.

traps in the spring will get the queens and cut down on them in the fall

I assume the drought this summer was a boon for the yellow jackets, no flooding to drown out the nests. I kept a flyswatter by the hive and killed as many as I could find. They were working my water source and the corner of the top cover where some sugar water leaked thru. Only a few tried to get into the hive, one was dragged back out by the legs by the guard bees.

I was wondering about the yellow jacket traps, are they ok to put out around honey bees?

a lite badminton racket works nice too. They are strong and lite so it doesn't stress your elbow and moves through the air fast.
    Old Guy in Alabama

They've been a big nuisance, and are constantly buzzing around the hive, trying to kidnap my bees, or sneak into the hive. I've seen my bees ball up at least three of them, and seen them directly attack several more. My yellow jacket traps fill up very quickly, and yet there are still lots of them.

Just a few days ago I spotted a large, tight cluster of yellow jackets on the ground near the hive doing I don't know what. I saw an opportunity and stomped on them. Unfortunately, one of them wasn't quite dead and she took it out on me a minute later.
    Don't provoke a hive full of angry bees.

I wouldn't say I've had a "problem" with them per se`, however, I have noticed a lot more of them this year then last year. No matter which apiary I was at too it seemed like there was always about a dozen of them flying around the hives. I looked all over for wasps nests and was unable to locate their source. Hopefully just a temporary problem for this year and not something a bit more permanent. Tough to say with how much the climate has been changing.

I noticed quite a few of them under my hives the other day and some were on the landing boards but there were no issues, the bees chased them off pretty easily. I do have hive guardians though, a nest of red ants. I have not seen the ants on the hive stands or in the hives, but did watch them clean up the dead bees and drone larva from under the hives. Infact, I watched a red ant riding a wasp on the ground the other day, the wasp tried shaking it but to no avail, and as the wasp moved along the ground closer to the ant nest it was doomed and soon over taken by the ants..........yes I actually had nothing to do and spent over an hour just observing things around the hives, and it was great!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

I've had more yellow jackets as well. Found one nest and soaped them but they continue to come from somewhere else as well. I work in the woods 99% of the time, and in the past it seems like when we saw more than average amounts of yellow jackets, we had a harsher winter. Wives tale or just nature boosting numbers for survival? Time will tell.
    Integrity - Doing the right thing when no one is watching.