Default att'n Maine/N New England beeks, do you wrap for winter?

Approaching my first over-wintering season. Maine is the closest to our conditions. Wondering if there is any consensus (perhaps that is being a bit too optimistic ) on winter prep in these climes...such as whether to wrap or not, other insulation, windbreaks, seek or avoid the sun, or what seems to work for you.

My hives will be fairly well protected from the cold wind directions, and high enough to keep out of the snow unless we get abnormal amounts. I'm inland and humidity here in winter is generally low .We do get occasional thaws and rains, but it's usually below freezing from December to Feb. I was thinking of a slab of insulation on top, maybe wrap the sides with Tyvek.

still nice here today, 24C/75F

any ideas appreciated...

cheers

Rob

Default Re: att'n Maine/N New England beeks, do you wrap for winter?

I wrap with the cheapest tar paper and no insulation. Adequate ventilation is provided. Last year was very mild here in Maine and I didn't get around to wrapping at all. My only real losses were in a yard that is very exposed to the wind, so that tells me a lot about the value of a natural windbreak.

An upper entrance/vent allows me to not worry much about how deep the snow gets. Only once in recent years did I have to dig down to find hives and that was in the same exposed yard with chest-deep drifts. (Snowshoes are a key part of my winter hive management program.)

I always try to place my hives in an area that gets as much sun as possible.

Wayne

Our state apiarist spoke at our recent beekeepers club meeting. He recommended wrapping with light weight tar paper (it's easier to bend without cracking in cool weather). Based on those I've spoken with it seems to be the consensus around here. I plan to wrap this winter. It's cheap insurance in my mind.

Hi Rob,

Here on the coast I do have humidity - more than I would like.

The short answer - yes I wrap and add insulation over the inner cover. I've described the details several times recently.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

This will be my third first year beekeeping ;-)

I think the most important items are windbreak and top entrance.

I use that construction black plastic/fabric that already has the stakes put in for a windbreak.

Take Care,
    Mike

I will wrap with 15 LBS tar paper and add a super filled with pine shavings over the inner cover. Inner cover will have the notch down to provide ventilation and an upper entrance.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Anyone tried bubblewrap or reflexit. I'm thinking of leaving south side uncovered to catch the sun. Un insulated it should be the first condensation point as the hive cools at night. Melt the next morning, self bailing hive! Probably a better theory than fact.

Many thanks for the feedback, everyone. I will plan on some wrapping, I may vary the method to compare results. A medium super of sawdust on top appeals, as opposed to styrofoam. The silt fence material might also be a good option as its breathable, as was mentioned... - black geotextile may also be good.

Still some asters flowering here but not much else. Red clover that was cut in late summer is flowering again. The hyssop in my bee garden still has bees on it. Hoping to collect seed from this for next year.

Rob

I wrap my hives with tar paper, which are in full sun with a rock wall behind them as a windbreak. I also made 3/4" thick moisture absorbers for them, made with wood, burlap, and sawdust. It goes UNDER the inner cover (it has a matching hole in the middle, flush with the IC, so that the bees can go up over the IC in case they want to snack on candy I place up there), and it absorbs all moisture the girls give off. It works great. I know we had a mild winter last year, but I found almost no dead bees in the spring. I do sweep off their front porch after a snowstorm so that they get the ventilation they need.
    Don't be afraid your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by treeoflife View Post
    I wrap my hives with tar paper, which are in full sun with a rock wall behind them as a windbreak. I also made 3/4" thick moisture absorbers for them, made with wood, burlap, and sawdust. It goes UNDER the inner cover (it has a matching hole in the middle, flush with the IC, so that the bees can go up over the IC in case they want to snack on candy I place up there), and it absorbs all moisture the girls give off. It works great. I know we had a mild winter last year, but I found almost no dead bees in the spring. I do sweep off their front porch after a snowstorm so that they get the ventilation they need.
    Interesting. Any northeasterners use the candy board method? Quite a few people seems to advocate the multiple benefits of this, including the moisture-absorbing properties. Some sort of moisture-absorbing item over the warm zone seems like a good idea and mimics the punkwood etc often found in a natural bee home in a hollow tree.
    Rob

I am going to make candy boards this year. We'll see how it goes.