Default Trouble moving TBHive

I was having problems feeding a weak hive in a TBH. The nearby Lang hive is very strong and was taking most of the feed (IMO). Being a newby my opinions about bees are suspect.
    So I moved the TBH about 300 yards away and behind a screening stand of trees. Moved them at dark thinking, from watching the hive settle to no foragers returning, or leaving, that all bees were home for the evening. I had closed the entrance with a paper towel. That was Thursday. This morning I opened the entrance one inch and obstructed it with pine needles to, hopefully, cause the bees to reorient themselves to the new location. Early this afternoon I found robbing going on through the follower board in the rear of the hive. I plugged up all entry there (loose fit follower) holes except the front and the hive settled down. I went to the old site and there was a huge cloud of bees around and on the lang and swirling around the old TBH site. After a bit, at about 530 pm, I put a swarm box on a five gallon bucket with the entry about where the old TBH's entry had been. Whamo, the bees started filling that box.
    Now I have made myself another problem. So, if I collect a bunch of Queenless foragers, what to do? At the moment I plan to give them a frame with eggs and larva after 24 hours. If they make a queen then all is well, if not? I will do something but what that will be I do not know now.
    Any advice is very welcome. Harsh words about how I did all this won't hurt me at all and maybe I can learn from them.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Default Re: Trouble moving TBHive

You need to cover the entrance in some what that makes the bees think they are in a new location -- a leafy branch they have to fly around, an obstruction of some sort over the entrance, etc.

As it is, I'd just dump the bees back into the hive and set up a new obstacle at the entrance -- make it so that they cannot see out from the entrance, they have to go around to see where they are, this should trigger re-orientation. If you watch them the first morning, you can tell, they will do their normal orientation flight thing, it's unmistakable.

However, if you want to start a new hive, you can do that too -- make sure you put a frame of eggs in there and they should make a queen right away. You should feed syrup and a protien patty though, you want a nice fat well fed queen, not a runt from lack of food.

Peter

Default Re: Trouble moving TBHive

Thanks Peter, will work on it.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.