Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Anyone have pictures of beehives on trailers, like a tandem axel utility type tra

I want to set up a trailer once my beeyard is full on my own property. What do you use to secure the trailer when it is left in a remote area?

Default Re: Anyone have pictures of beehives on trailers, like a tandem axel utility type tra

Secure from people or secure from bears?

I like this idea.
    549477_341620395921153_1051040387_n.jpg
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

ODfrank,

That system is very neat!! But with my luck I would end up shoving hives right off the end or the stand would tip over or something!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    Thanks for the link BC!! Some cool pictures, and some of those trailers look like apiary tanks!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by dingo983 View Post
    I want to set up a trailer once my beeyard is full on my own property. What do you use to secure the trailer when it is left in a remote area?
    No experience yet here, but I imagine you should be good if your chalk the tires so it cant roll, or set blocks on the corners after jacking up the trailer to lift the wheels off the ground. And depending on if your in bear country some sort of cage or electric fencing.

I plan on installing removable posts to run an electric wire around the trailer to prevent the cows from rubbing on the trailer, but I dont have to worry about bears here!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Sorry. I should have clarified. I was curious how would you secure a trailer to protect it from agricultural theft. Some one driving up in the middle of the night, hooking the trailer up and driving away with your trailer and hives.

Quote Originally Posted by dingo983 View Post
    Sorry. I should have clarified. I was curious how would you secure a trailer to protect it from agricultural theft. Some one driving up in the middle of the night, hooking the trailer up and driving away with your trailer and hives.
    This is the first thing that came up in a search for "trailer hitch lock."

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...446963831&mt=e
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

Dingo,

A trailer hitch lock would be good, but unfortunately with all the portable power tools these days, if someone wants something bad enough it can be had. The best thing to do is hide the trailer from roadways and prying eyes the best you can, or put plywood sides on the trailer like odfrank has and face the entrances to the center of the trailer.

My hives are currently visible from the road but behind a locked gate, and most passer bys don't want anything to do with stinging insects, but then those few dirtbags that know bees and want to help themselves will do it at will.
    Coyote Creek Bees

If it is going to be in one spot for a while you could also consider removing the wheels after it is jacked up and leveled. I probably wouldn't want to do that if it was only going to be there for a week, but if it was going to be there a month or more.....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234