Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Anyone have pictures of beehives on trailers, like a tandem axel utility type tra

Quote Originally Posted by waynesgarden View Post
    I'm using a truck now to move hives, but previously I used a Tractor Supply trailer towed behind my Geo Tracker with no problems. Apparently, from the previous posts, I've been fortunate since I have Acebird on permanent ignore and and am blissfully unaware of what I've been doing wrong and the dangers I've been risking.

I do like the idea of a longer trailer with hives permanently mounted in a bear-proof cage.

Wayne
    I might check into that ignore function soon just so I can stop beating my head on the wall!!

To keep on track with the thread, I also currently move hives with my truck but just see the ease of trailering my hives to different locations by a simple process of strap down, hook up and go!! And the most important thing, saving my back for other things like removing full supers!!LOL

I just like seeing everyones trailer designs and the ease of operation that can be had and it makes me wish I would have had a trailer sooner!!

Take care bud!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Default Re: Anyone have pictures of beehives on trailers, like a tandem axel utility type tra

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGhost View Post
    I might check into that ignore function soon just so I can stop beating my head on the wall!!
    It easy to visualize [virtualize] that ignore function .... just assume that everything Acebird is posting is really intended for the Joke forum linked here:
    [/http://www.beesource.com/forums/foru...ke-Humor-Forum

Here a memorable thread that the bird turned into a joke. Telling (arguing with) Beesource member Maxant on how to properly design and manufacture an extractor ...
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...tracting-honey
    It includes this fine quote regarding Maxant extractors:
    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Otherwise labeling your equipment quality made is a joke.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Wow Radar!! I didnt see that thread!! That is simply amazing and absolutely disrespectful to a well known name in the industry.

When I posted a thread on my homemade extractor MAXANT even complimented it, which I thought was really cool coming from an extractor manufacturer!! There was no reply about how it wouldnt work and that I need to buy his extractor, and that is classy. I knew right then and there when I got ready to drop a dime on a real extractor, it would be from MAXANT, period.

The bird claims to have a knack for engineering..................has anyone seen his extractor yet?? Its interesting to say the least. And remember this fine qoute, "ceiling fans do not collect dust".......................
    Coyote Creek Bees

When I posted a thread on my homemade extractor MAXANT even complimented it, which I thought was really cool coming from an extractor manufacturer!!
    That was a very interesting thread, involving utilizing the motor and variable speed control system from a discarded treadmill to power a home engineered extractor. It prompted me to watch for a similar unwanted treadmill.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ade-extractor!
    I haven't built the extractor yet, but am gathering parts, and hope to this winter. (My bee club does offer a free extractor loan, so building my own can be a lesser priority.)
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Goodluck with the winter project Radar!! It was a fun build!! If I would have done anything different, I would make a metal stand out of 1 3/4" extrusion. Then I would use 1 1/2" extrusion concreted into (4) five gallon buckets and just pick the extractor up and set it onto the "bucket bases", this would cut down the shimmying a lot!!! Hmmmmmm...................looks like I will be needing to do this over the winter!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Here is one someone from Romania? Shared on my facebook page. I love the stuff from Europe and other cultures:

Dont let the bird see that...........he will have an absolute heart attack!!LOL
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    Here is one someone from Romania? Shared on my facebook page. I love the stuff from Europe and other cultures:
    That's one European design I will skip. Climb up onto that rack to do all the bee work in that tight isle? How do you super the bottom row? Tough on the back to work the bottom row and tough on the back to work the top row. Must be for pollination or small crops. I like the moveable rack idea, similare to my BeeBed, but the double stacking would not work for me.

Dont let the bird see that...........he will have an absolute heart attack!!LOL
    Why? you really need to get a life. Do I have that much influence on your thoughts?

Odfrank, how can you know what this is use for just from a photo?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I am not an engineer, I use common sense.

If it was for honey production...you could not add additional supers to the bottom row and the top row is very high up and hard to add supers to or get them off so it would only be good for small and medium size crops. The hives are so inconvenient to work it is not for queen rearing, too big for mating nucs. If it is just for hive moving it looks hard to load. I'm left with pollination. Any other ideas? Looks inconvenient for any use to me.

Here's another thing for you folks who start using a trailer. I have a 10' long 2x12, and I back my pickup up to the trailer with the tailgate down. I lay the 2x12 from the pickup to the trailer bed. That way I simply walk from the trailer to the bed of my pickup to stack allllll those full honey supers! Be sure to watch where you're going though, the fall could be a problem with a full super... both for you and the super.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

In viewing a lot of youtube videos with Russian beekeepers, I do notice, (And that's what I like about them) that many times they are just working with materials that are available to them..most likley salvaged and free. I am guessing this trailer/stand might have just been something they had on hand and tried to use it for the bee hives. Maybe not the best set up, but if it was free...
    They are inventive and thrifty..same with the German videos..old time craftsmanship-no Walmart for them.

Here is the facebook page of the person who posted this photo-look for yourself:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/%D0%BF...551?ref=stream

Lauri Miller
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Miller...56954971040510

Why? you really need to get a life. Do I have that much influence on your thoughts?

I have a great life actually! I just know that when someone posts something on this site it won't be long before your two cents is posted, I have you patterned and it is bothering you. I wouldn't say you have influence on me, however I am living rent free in your head.

As odfrank said, you don't have to be an engineer to figure out how tough it would be to work those hives, look how much space is between the DEEP super and the upper hives, now imagine trying to work 90# of honey filled box off that lower tier! Common sense tells me that operation could be a potential back breaker.

And just imagine how top heavy that thing is and what could happen in a cross wind?
    Coyote Creek Bees

Lauri,

I googled "pictures of beehives on trailers" and about 90% were from European countries, some very innovative and heavy duty trailers there! Some even looked like a gypsi style trailer with sides that would fold up for transport and winterizing.
    Coyote Creek Bees

after studying the trailer for hours, I figure the bottom hives are on rollers, the beek rolls out the bottom hive to the isle down the middle, works it, then stands on that hive to work the top hive, using acebirds scientific methods, i've determined that the beek must bee 6'6" to reach the top boxes, so its rulled out for most of us.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...levant_count=1

I think it is purpose built like this one that fits on a flat bed. My guess would be for pollination. Real quick to load and unload.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

My guess would be for pollination. Real quick to load and unload.
    That would be my guess also, due to the obvious visual of sunflowers in the picture.
    Coyote Creek Bees

BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFz5B...eature=related This one looks like a Lauri built. Very cool.
    Last edited by lakebilly; 10-15-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast