Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Anyone have pictures of beehives on trailers, like a tandem axel utility type tra

Thank you for the insight Steven!! And Aces two hives ride just fine in their permanant location on blocks. I love how he gives all sorts of useless ideas on something he has no experience with, but suggests it with such confidence at the same time trying to belittle others.

Again, thank you to everyone who have had some great ideas and have shared their experiences, I appreciate it.

And Acebird, please dont respond anymore on my threads..................thank you.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Default Re: Anyone have pictures of beehives on trailers, like a tandem axel utility type tra

My bee trailers when I built them. A six jumbo hive trailer, a 20 hive trailer with standard Langstroth deeps, and a sixteen hive BeeBed with Langtstroth dimension boxes but Jumbo depth brood frames. I built these because I keep 50 hives on a commercial lot with permits for eight. I have been busted twice and want it quicker and easier to move next time. The sideboards hide them to a degree from prying eyes. In summer they stack up above the sideboards. To move I have to somewhat equalize their height, strap and tarp.

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t...ee%20Trailers/

Steven, did I say not to strap them down? Do you feel shocks would be a detriment and the ratchet straps will make up the difference? Will the straps also prevent the comb from being ripped from the frames?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Beeghost,

Please post the photos of what you come up with as I've wondered how to do that as well. I'm all ears when I can learn from others.

Odfrank,

Thanks for linking those photos.

Ironically I visit this site less than I used to because of the bird. The site that I know of that he left due to "censorship" has become pleasant again where ideas are exchanged without sniping. What some call censorship is what others might call ramifications of ignoring of common courtesy and web-etiquette.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

D Coates, just ignore him...apparently he can't help himself.
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

100_5979_resized.jpg
    BGhost, I'm trying to upload two pix of my setup when I moved them, hope it comes thru. My hives are further apart that OdFrank's, I like to have a bit of room to work, I can be kinda klutzy. And I like to set the lids between hives when opening them. Can set supers from one hive atop another when inspecting, lids are out of the way if I need to go get something.
    Regards,
    Steven
    Last edited by StevenG; 10-09-2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: more info

100_5978_resized.jpgIt worked!* Ok, in this picture you should see the 1x4's that cross brace the two rows of hives.* I'm not sure if the individual hive straps will be that obvious, but you can see the large yellow ones running lengthwise. If you don't cross-brace the two rows, on uneven ground they could tip...I barely avoided a catastrophe last year. Hope these pix help.
    Regards,
    Steven

Stephen,

Great photos. They tie up all the questions I had from your post. I'm considering moving a few hives next year in a fashion that I can move them back when needed with minimal effort.

One of my weaknesses is ignoring a self-absorbed bore. To avoid being one myself in said situations I've learned it may be best to remove myself. It's good for me but it can encourage the others' behavior because no one stands up to it. Fortunately, said fool eventually hangs themself with their own rope, blaming others (censorship) but is gone nonetheless. It's ironic that I check in and immediately run into the very person/behavior I was trying to avoid. I'll check back in a couple months.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Very cool Steven! Thanks for the pictures as well!

Seeing all these trailer pictures is making me antsy to get my trailer going!
    Coyote Creek Bees

One thing to point out - those hives stay on the trailer 24/7/365. I only strap and tie them together when I move them. And I move them twice, from clover to soybeans in late June, and back to clover fields middle of October.
    Regards,
    Steven

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/...316_164815.jpg

The above link will show a picture of the trailer that I made up using the frame from an old travel trailer. I cut the center axle section out and narrowed the wheel base. The front and back sections of the original trailer were welded together to create the deck. The deck section was than suspended over the shortened axle section to create a deck-over trailer. Angle iron was welded on the deck to create five separate "cradles" to hold 4-hive pallets. The original hitch was removed and a drop hitch installed. The overall width of the trailer and pallets is 72 inches.

When loaded with pallets and hives, the entrance to the hives is about 36 inches off the ground. This has helped minimizing maintenance around the entrances. The hives are worked from the center of the trailer since there is approximately 28 inches between the backs of the hives on each side. This creates a walk way down the center of the trailer. Working the supers is easy, but working the hive bodies can be somewhat tiring on the back.

The trailer tows well, but have only used locally and not at highway speeds. The overall axle width is somewhat narrow for the height, but I have never had any problems. Care had been taken to balance loads when not transporting a full trailer. I use a skid steer to load and unload pallets. Small D-rings are welded to the angle iron to provide attachment points for ratchet straps that hold in place the two hives on one side of each pallet. Ten straps total for a full load.

Why did you feel shortening the wheel base and raising the deck is better? That has got to be hairy in a cross wind.
    Brian Cardinal

Nice job on the trailers guys, thanks for the pics.

Peakebrook,

Very cool!!! No weed whackin needed when you pull that baby up to the site, I like it!! Thanks for the picture bud!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Why did you feel shortening the wheel base and raising the deck is better? That has got to be hairy in a cross wind.
    Maybe because he wanted to?? Hairy in a cross wind..........you know he mentioned he doesnt go on a highway right?? Not to mention a cross wind will cause shorter trailers to walk a bit anyhow, even a small boat on a trailer...............heck, even a vehicle without a trailer will get pushed in a cross wind.

Acebird, have you ever given a compliment to anyone about there homemade project?? I mean, people put a lot of work and effort into making things and are proud of the project they completed...........only to have you tell them what a piece of junk it is or that it wont work. I have YET to see you make anything worth while.................including posts.

Didnt your mama teach you that if you "cant say nothing good, dont say anything at all" ? Or are you just compelled to put your two cents on everything no matter what it is, whether you know anything about it or not??

It would simply amaze you at how many posts I dont reply to because either I dont know the answer or ive never dealt with it. Give that option a try sometime, youll make more friends than enemies that way.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGhost View Post
    Acebird, have you ever given a compliment to anyone about there homemade project?
    Sure I have many times. When I see something that doesn't make sense to me I ask to find out what I am missing or to let a person know what my reservations are. Many other people do that on this forum but they don't have you jumping down their throats for asking questions or voicing their concerns.
    When I see other people do the same thing that I do I feel it is acceptable to most people on the forum and ignore the clatter from people like yourself.

There had to be a reason for Peakebrook to raise the center of gravity and at the same time shorten the wheel base. Both will make the trailer less stable and more apt to flip.
    Brian Cardinal

When I see something that doesn't make sense to me I ask to find out what I am missing or to let a person know what my reservations are.
    Thats the thing though Ace, you are not an expert. Ive seen you give misleading information many times. You have two hives and limited years in experience, yet you have a "solution" for everything. I am more apt to take information as gospel from a sideliner/commercial guy that makes a living off bees, because that is their living and if they mess up, it costs them money. I am also more apt to take info from a hobbiest that has been doing it for a long time and has multiple hives, because they have experienced a lot of different scenerios.

Heck in the last 1 1/2 years ive probably experienced more things than you and I have learned from them and shared my experiences, but if I havnt dealt with a certain problem I sure wont give my opinion on the subject but instead I will make a mental note of others experiences so that if it does happen to me I know a solution.

Ive seen you post your opinions on things you could not possibly know about first hand, and to me a lot of it is misguiding information that could put a new beekeeper deeper into a problem.

As far as Peakbrooke's trailer, he is using it for bees, hes not hauling tons of hay down the highway doing 70 mph. He hauls from one site to another and back and it sounds like he has no trouble doing it either.

Heres another thing to think about, people may do things just because they want to, no rhyme or reason, but its their idea and they roll with it. If it works and they are happy with it, right on! If they build it and are not happy with the results then usually they ASK for an opinion for a better solution. I build hair brain things all the time, sometimes they work and sometimes I fall flat on my face, but I learn along the way what works and when it does I share it, when it doesnt work I go back to the drawing board and will also let people know of my experience so they dont make the same mistake and perhaps they will have a solution for me that will save me time and effort.

I appreciate everyones home made stuff and fabrication projects because I know how much work and thought goes into them, plus I appreciate enginuity and use other peoples ideas in my own projects.
    Coyote Creek Bees

I'm using a truck now to move hives, but previously I used a Tractor Supply trailer towed behind my Geo Tracker with no problems. Apparently, from the previous posts, I've been fortunate since I have Acebird on permanent ignore and and am blissfully unaware of what I've been doing wrong and the dangers I've been risking.

I do like the idea of a longer trailer with hives permanently mounted in a bear-proof cage.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGhost View Post
    Thats the thing though Ace, you are not an expert.
    I never claim to be. It is people like yourself that give me that title usually in a derogatory way. I will say that I have a whole lot more expertise in manufacturing, fabrication and designing structures than most beekeepers on this forum. It is very easy to pat someone on the back for projects that they do. It is how you make friends, right. But what if all the blue smoke encourages someone else to copy a bad design? What if someone gets hurt? What if someone loses their hives? Is that all good? Should I keep quiet for those people? Regardless of what you think, I don't think that way.
    Brian Cardinal

I will say that I have a whole lot more expertise in manufacturing, fabrication and designing structures than most beekeepers on this forum.
    And that has what to do with bees and survivability?? And in the design of your extractor you seemed to stray away from your "expertise". You bashed my extractor design saying it was contaminating my honey, and I explained everything in detail to you and you still said it will contaminate my honey................but was I the one with a dirty non food grade ceiling fan motor mounted to the bottom of my extractor?? With honey seeping all through the motor and such, must be really easy to clean between extractions............correct? Need I mention blue smoke on your design?

My motor is placed outside of the extractor with a protective Lexan cover placed over the entrance to prevent honey particles from leaving the extractor and anything getting into the extractor...........and to think I dont have an engineering degree.

I do have a lot of friends, and yes, I give credit where credit is due. If I think something is unsafe, I will tell someone........in private. I sure wont go on a public forum or make sure there is a crowd of people around when I mention the safety hazard. Your opinion of a bad design or beekeeping practices are just that, your opinion, it is niether factual or backed up by hands on experience. You may have built houses or what ever, but have you ever built a trailer? Have you ever had more than 10 hives at once? Have you ever experienced multiple problems within the hive? You must be the most successful beekeeper in history because I have never seen you ask a question on the status of your hives, or are you to proud to ask for someones opinion??

If someone has a question about their hive status, and you have personally experienced that particular problem, then feel free to post your opinion, but I can guess that most o your replies to peoples questions are from a textbook. If I followed everything I read in books, I would be lost. I am a hands on type of person and learn a lot better from MY mistakes, and yes, I am not even close to perfect and make plenty of mistakes, but I am not to proud to admit them or ask for help.

The answer to your question of " Shoud I keep quiet " is..................YES, please!!

I can be a bit touchy and grouchy, kinda like bees................and trust me, I am trying really hard to be corgial and abide by forum guide lines while dealing with you, but only because I really like this site and the unlimited sources of information it has to offer. There are some really great people here with tons of knowledge that I try to absorb like a sponge because I admit..............im not a know it all.
    Coyote Creek Bees