Hybrid View

Default Anyone have pictures of beehives on trailers, like a tandem axel utility type trailer

A friend of mine is giving me a 16' tandem axel trailer, all I have to do to it is put a new deck on it! Im looking for pictures of people with something like this so I can get ideas of what I want to do to it. I plan on putting a boom on it to lift pallets with two hives each on them. Basically I am tired of hand loading hives into the back of my truck when I move them to places and eventually I want to get into small orchard pollination as well. So anyhow, just looking for some pictures or ideas on this!! Thanks!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Default Re: Anyone have pictures of beehives on trailers, like a tandem axel utility type tra

I have 6, 16 and 20 hive trailers with two hive pallets on them permanently. On two, they face to the inside so that I can work them from the back and they face to the center of the trailer. On the 6 hive trailer, they face two to the front, two to the back and the center two to the sides. I can work all six without standing in the flight path of the others. The 6 and 16 hive trailers have screened bottom pallets, and the 20 hive trailer has solid bottom pallets. The 16 and 20 hive trailers have 4' tall removable sideboards to hide the hives. I can move them by just strapping them down and netting them. The 16 hive unit is really not a trailer, but a flatbed moveable by my drop box truck.

Default Re: Anyone have pictures of beehives on trailers, like a tandem axel utility type tra

My bee trailers when I built them. A six jumbo hive trailer, a 20 hive trailer with standard Langstroth deeps, and a sixteen hive BeeBed with Langtstroth dimension boxes but Jumbo depth brood frames. I built these because I keep 50 hives on a commercial lot with permits for eight. I have been busted twice and want it quicker and easier to move next time. The sideboards hide them to a degree from prying eyes. In summer they stack up above the sideboards. To move I have to somewhat equalize their height, strap and tarp.

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t...ee%20Trailers/

Steven, did I say not to strap them down? Do you feel shocks would be a detriment and the ratchet straps will make up the difference? Will the straps also prevent the comb from being ripped from the frames?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Beeghost,

Please post the photos of what you come up with as I've wondered how to do that as well. I'm all ears when I can learn from others.

Odfrank,

Thanks for linking those photos.

Ironically I visit this site less than I used to because of the bird. The site that I know of that he left due to "censorship" has become pleasant again where ideas are exchanged without sniping. What some call censorship is what others might call ramifications of ignoring of common courtesy and web-etiquette.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

D Coates, just ignore him...apparently he can't help himself.
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

100_5979_resized.jpg
    BGhost, I'm trying to upload two pix of my setup when I moved them, hope it comes thru. My hives are further apart that OdFrank's, I like to have a bit of room to work, I can be kinda klutzy. And I like to set the lids between hives when opening them. Can set supers from one hive atop another when inspecting, lids are out of the way if I need to go get something.
    Regards,
    Steven
    Last edited by StevenG; 10-09-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: more info
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

This is probably common method but new to me. I used an explosive nail gun to floor my 16 foot trailer with treated 2X6s. Easy and solid. Just my two cents....
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

If it were me, on a small sized trailer, I would make sides with heavy mesh wire panels that were insulated from the posts.(Removable of course to allow for hive loading with fork lift) Attach a solar charger system to the panels. You could haul your trailer full of hives to a new location and just leave it-without unloading. Charge the solar system to secure the hives from bears or vandalism and walk away until you need them back.

Lauri, that's exactly what I'm working on down here in the black bear heaven of SW WA! I have a trailer I think I can fit 8 hives in, and I'm going to tow it onto some property I've been placing and removing hives from each year. Hopefully I can eliminate most of the lifting!

I have run trailers behind trucks with the boom on the end of the truck. For you, be sure that you mount the boom on the front so you can also load the truck if needed. You may wish to consider loading single hives or stacks of 2 , one on the other rather than pallets of 2 hives. Issues you can run into are the unexpected move with supers on the hives and mismatched heights of hive pairs. Weight can be an issue when loading a trailer with a boom due to the torque exerted by the boom when hives are out on the end. Trailers are much lighter than trucks so more care must be used. 4 way leveling of the boom will be a must.

A guy here runs 4 hives per pallet. He turns the hives 90* to each other. Seems to work good for him.
    I have seen a few of the beehive trailers before. Set it and forget it!
    I like the solar charger idea Lauri. Keeps all kinds of pests from getting close to the hives.

Thanks for the replys!! I do plan on mounting a boom on the trailer itself, it will be a homemade boom set up using winches and stuff, still working on that design!! I just think a trailer would be the way to go and I can set it up the way I want to with storage and stuff. I will save a lot of time and wear on my back and if I need to move the bees I strap down and hook up and go!! Which will be handy in my situation.

As far as electrifying the trailer, I do plan on putting removable posts that extend out about 5' from the trailer that will hold a wire about 3' off the ground, but its more to deal with cows than bears in my country!! This way I can pull up drop the trailer set up the E-fence and leave, no more driving posts an dealing with barbed wire!!

Cant wait to get this rolling!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Don't forget to post photos when you get it done!

I want to set up a trailer once my beeyard is full on my own property. What do you use to secure the trailer when it is left in a remote area?

Secure from people or secure from bears?

I like this idea.
    549477_341620395921153_1051040387_n.jpg
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

Quote Originally Posted by dingo983 View Post
    I want to set up a trailer once my beeyard is full on my own property. What do you use to secure the trailer when it is left in a remote area?
    No experience yet here, but I imagine you should be good if your chalk the tires so it cant roll, or set blocks on the corners after jacking up the trailer to lift the wheels off the ground. And depending on if your in bear country some sort of cage or electric fencing.

I plan on installing removable posts to run an electric wire around the trailer to prevent the cows from rubbing on the trailer, but I dont have to worry about bears here!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Sorry. I should have clarified. I was curious how would you secure a trailer to protect it from agricultural theft. Some one driving up in the middle of the night, hooking the trailer up and driving away with your trailer and hives.

Quote Originally Posted by dingo983 View Post
    Sorry. I should have clarified. I was curious how would you secure a trailer to protect it from agricultural theft. Some one driving up in the middle of the night, hooking the trailer up and driving away with your trailer and hives.
    This is the first thing that came up in a search for "trailer hitch lock."

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...446963831&mt=e
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

Dingo,

A trailer hitch lock would be good, but unfortunately with all the portable power tools these days, if someone wants something bad enough it can be had. The best thing to do is hide the trailer from roadways and prying eyes the best you can, or put plywood sides on the trailer like odfrank has and face the entrances to the center of the trailer.

My hives are currently visible from the road but behind a locked gate, and most passer bys don't want anything to do with stinging insects, but then those few dirtbags that know bees and want to help themselves will do it at will.
    Coyote Creek Bees