Default How to place insulation boards while using migratory covers?

Hello all,
    I normally use a 1"-2" thick piece of foam board (16 1/4" X 19 7/8") on my hives for the winter. However, I normally place this above the inner but beneath the outer cover. Now, I understand that inner cover are not normally used with the flat wooden migratory covers. So with the understanding that some of my hives now have migratory tops, can I just place the foam board directly above the cluster, since I don't have inner covers on these hives? What do you all recommend, or do yourselves? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Benjamin Schneider, CEO of Prairie Wind Bee Supply - New & Improved Website! http://prairiewindbeesupply.webs.com/

Default Re: How to place insulation boards while using migratory covers?

Western,

It has been my experience that if you have styrofoam in contact with the bees they will chew into it. I put a rectangle of 2 inch foam on top of the outer cover both summer and winter and a gallon can of sand (for weight) on the outside top. I also have a shallow rim with a screen bottom full of wood shavings for moisture absorption / insulation immediately below the OC.

Steve

Bee's will chew it up without something to protect it. Maybe a sheet of coroplast or a sheet of plastic on bottom.

Get the kind that has a film of aluminum on one side - place that side towards the bees, it acts as a radiant heat reflector and the bees only chew into it if you damage the aluminum film (which can be repaired with aluminum tape).

I use this foam board as the outer cover, or only cover on many of my nucs. It works very well, as long as I'm careful to keep it pushed-back about 1/4" from the front edge -- that's what creates the entrance on my nucs.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Thanks everyone. I did think that they would chew into the foam if I didn't do something different. Thanks for the suggestions so far!
    Benjamin Schneider, CEO of Prairie Wind Bee Supply - New & Improved Website! http://prairiewindbeesupply.webs.com/