Default How to place insulation boards while using migratory covers?

Hello all,
    I normally use a 1"-2" thick piece of foam board (16 1/4" X 19 7/8") on my hives for the winter. However, I normally place this above the inner but beneath the outer cover. Now, I understand that inner cover are not normally used with the flat wooden migratory covers. So with the understanding that some of my hives now have migratory tops, can I just place the foam board directly above the cluster, since I don't have inner covers on these hives? What do you all recommend, or do yourselves? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: How to place insulation boards while using migratory covers?

Western,

It has been my experience that if you have styrofoam in contact with the bees they will chew into it. I put a rectangle of 2 inch foam on top of the outer cover both summer and winter and a gallon can of sand (for weight) on the outside top. I also have a shallow rim with a screen bottom full of wood shavings for moisture absorption / insulation immediately below the OC.

Steve

Bee's will chew it up without something to protect it. Maybe a sheet of coroplast or a sheet of plastic on bottom.

Get the kind that has a film of aluminum on one side - place that side towards the bees, it acts as a radiant heat reflector and the bees only chew into it if you damage the aluminum film (which can be repaired with aluminum tape).

I use this foam board as the outer cover, or only cover on many of my nucs. It works very well, as long as I'm careful to keep it pushed-back about 1/4" from the front edge -- that's what creates the entrance on my nucs.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Thanks everyone. I did think that they would chew into the foam if I didn't do something different. Thanks for the suggestions so far!