Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Spraying for fall garden pest

5K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  danmcm 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of something i can put in a sprayer to spray my veges with out killing my bees

#2 ·
Every poison has risk but generally if the plants are not blooming your bees are not there so you are safe.
The plants that are blooming I spray liquid seven on them at dusk after the bees go home and its dried by morning so its somewhat safer than during the day.
Have t had a major kill yet.
Good Luck, Mike

#8 ·
A half cup of dish soap in a gallon of water kills most insects that you get the soapy water on, and does very little once dry.

If you want to use an insecticide, just spray it on at sunset. And avoid powers like seven dust if there are flowers that bees might visit present.

#12 ·
Dish soap and water method has done wonders for me.

Incests don't have an impermeable skin like us mammals do, so when they come in contact with the soupy water it absorbs into their skin, killing them. It then dries and becomes ineffective, for this reason you have to apply often to get it ONTO the bugs. I keep some in a garden sprayer and will spray twice a day if there is a problem.

I saved my entire garden with this method and even a very large cherry tree who had a horrible infection of worms last year, eating leaves and everything. Last year I sprayed it twice a day for a week and this year it was stronger than it had been in years!

#13 ·
I use water / ammonia 50:50 and a pinch of dish soap on the veg. I hit them in the evening and mostly target slugs. Ammonia is a fertilizer but do not overdo it on the tomato’s or it will give them end rot. I need something to kill out the root grubs in my raspberries, I have always used seven before but the odd weather seems my berries have been blooming odd times this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.