Default any experience combining TBH's???

I realize there is a very similar thread running right now but my question differs slightly... figured I would start a new one.

I'm confident I need to combine both of my hives. I made a split from a 1st year hive earlier this summer and both took off pretty well but they just seemed to fizzle out after they had such a good start. Not sure why, but either way it is what it is at this point.

Both hives only have about 12-11 total combs and until I just fed them about 5 gallons of syrup were basically empty on stores. So as of now they have most of their combs packed full of syrup, but again... there still isn't that many combs anway.

I figured I would just go ahead and combine both of them here in the next few days and then keep feeding them over the next month. I'll kill off one of the queens, but I'm not totally sure how to attempt the combine.

At this point I'm thinking of using newspaper to split them up like some describe doing in langs, but I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions or tips.

Default Re: any experience combining TBH's???

I've done the newspaper combine thing. I used duct tape to attach the newspaper to the side and bottom of the hive.

That said - I'm not sure I would combine these. 10-12 bars is plenty for overwintering. I'd just shrink down the hive with a follower and see how they do next year, now that they've got some comb to work with.

really?

I didn't think that number of bars would be enough to last.

If that is plenty to get through a mild winter then maybe I wont combine. Any other opinions?

I have a couple of 12 bar top-bar nucs. They had no problems in winter. I did feed some fondant to get them through early spring - that was all.

Quote Originally Posted by cpm View Post
    I have a couple of 12 bar top-bar nucs. They had no problems in winter. I did feed some fondant to get them through early spring - that was all.
    Awesome, that's really good to know. I always seem to learn something new with bees.... usually it's through making a decision and seeing what happens. Now I feel a little more informed at least. Thanks for the replies cpm.

I use the news paper combine but I just smoosh the paper into the corners with my hands. I suggest not leaving more paper than necessary because they have a shred party to celebrate the sucessful joining....in other words, its a little messy.

Stuart