Hybrid View

Default Feeding Fondant Idea

So feeding fondant has always bee a struggle. I am finishing my second year. Last winter I tried slipping it under the cluster. I saw the videos of Chandler scraping it into an old comb. I then had an idea when filling a feeder. My top bars are by no means touching each other anymore. They have filled them with propolis. Some to the point where there is a little channel where bees may move up, but never do. So this week I made some fondant and put it over the top bars where they had an opening between the top bars. I mad a couple more on other top bars and slapped down the fondant. Above that I put my insulation. Do you think I would need some sort of covering over the fondant so the bees don't have to struggle getting under the insulation? Even just a small tote cover may help. Either way...just thought I'd pass on my idea and I will check back next week to see how they did.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

Default Re: Feeding Fondant Idea

here's the set up I use for fondant instead of sugar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_WLCc21-Hk

2nd year for me. Last winter this worked well for me. I had a screended inner cover above the feeded and an insulated top.
    We'll see how it works this winter. Last year was very mild in these parts.

Oddly enough I was just sitting at my desk at work about 2 days ago thinking about a very similar topic.... I got to wondering if there is a way I could mix up something that is almost hard. If you could make a fondant/candy mix that was hard enough you could shape it into the same shape and size of one of the combs and just attach the whole piece to an empty bar and just place it in the hive where space is available.

Obviously I haven't tried this and have absolutely no idea if it would work well or if it is even a good idea.

I think your idea would work just fine as long as the bees have a place to get up to it.

Could you just make a triangle looking frame that would have 1/4 inch screen on one side and just butter it in? I would think that if you waited until it cooled off it wouldn't ooze out if you make thick fondant.

If I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time, probably not even the first time today.

Just did some real quick research via Google. I think that if you want to hang it you can, but do something like this. Make a frame with screen on one side. I would go smaller, not bigger. You would have the follower board behind it anyway. Make the sides the necessary for your application, I would think at least an inch thick. Make your fondant, spread it into your frame and let it dry for a long time (weeks, not days). It should dry pretty hard as the moisture evaporates.

The screened feeder board is simple, cheap to make and easy to fill even in winter. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_WLCc21-Hk

All you need to do is put a pile of fondant on a piece of newspaper or parchment.. The screen holes allow plenty of access for the bees. They can also chew through the paper from below and access the fondant.