Hybrid View

Default Very Weak Hive Going Into Winter?

I have a very weak hive that has been struggling all summer. I have condensed it down to one 10 frame deep, put entrance reducer down to small, and been feeding 1:1 sugar out of the top. I have ditched the screen bottom board for a solid and the colony has been bug and mite free for several weeks.

The drought in August caused the queen to shut down. Since the first week of Sept, she has been producing brood and my bees are restocking. Pollen flights are coming in, but no capped honey has been make. There is less than 1 frame of capped honey, some frames with raw honey and pollen, and 2 brood frames.

What do I need to feed or supplement this one with to get it thru the winter?

Default Re: Very Weak Hive Going Into Winter?

Keep feeding syrup till daytime temps fall to 50degrees then switch to dry sugar on a single sheet of paper laid on the top frames AKA MountainCamp Method put up a windbreak and hope for the best.
    Good Luck, Mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

If you wrap Styrofoam around and some under the inner cover, it keep them warm, and they saving lots of energy during winter.

JMO, I would go with 2:1. Less for them to process and moisture with cool temps is not the best environment. Time is not on your side either I wouldn't think. I used roofing paper around the hives last winter. The black on the sun really warmed them up.

Time is short, the first widespread frost is coming Sunday nite.

My next batch of syrup will be 2:1. They have not been working the 1:1 much lately any way. Fall greened up, we had more rain in Sept that we did from May 15 thru the end of Aug. But they were so low on numbers, they did not make much of the fall flow. They did go to making new brood and I have the first young bees filling the hive in quite some time.

I was wondering about feeding them something else to get them to store it in the hive for the cluster. Some kind of patty or something.

jdmidwest - It sounds like our situations are similar. I have one deep, capped and raw honey, and still have some brood on the way. I have been feeding 2:1 for the last three weeks along with a pollen patty. I think I have at least another weeks worth of time to keep feeding syrup, but like Mike Haney said, I am thinking of switching to raw sugar on paper, or possibly making up fondant (sugar candy). If I make up fondant I am debating whether to put it along the tops of the frames, or to coat an empty frame with it - I might do both to see what they prefer. I will also bee insulating with a foam jacket, and wrapping them up in black roofing paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick 1456 View Post
    JMO, I would go with 2:1. Less for them to process and moisture with cool temps is not the best environment. Time is not on your side either I wouldn't think. I used roofing paper around the hives last winter. The black on the sun really warmed them up.
    I agree with Rick regarding using 2:1 instead of 1:1. If you have empty drawn comb, they might fill the cells back. I had a deep with empty drawn cells (the queen moved upstairs), at the beginning of Sept., and started feeding heavy 2:1. By the second week in Oct. the frames were 80% full of the sugar water. We have been in a dearth since late June this year.

I have a week hive, very week, any suggestions, plan on wrapping with tar paper, I put 1/2 gallon of sugar water (1 to 1) and it was gone the next day. Do they need that much?

You do not give location, but that fast indicates they need more or a leak and running through. 1 to 1 is too waek for this late.
    Greetings.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.