Thread: fall flow

Hybrid View

Default fall flow

It was a pretty good flow down here but not good enough to keep me from having to feed some of my hives.how was your fall flow.

Default Re: fall flow

still foraging aggressively here, but it will be winding down soon. most hives are heavy enough already. i'll probably take a little honey from the best ones and give it to the two or three light ones as needed.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Poor. Had to feed like crazy for weeks but last week my bees pretty much quit taking it. When I opened the hive up I saw lots of actual honey, as opposed to clear syrup. Something must have bloomed, finally.
    Don't provoke a hive full of angry bees.

Pretty decent fall flow here, which is winding down. The established colonies put up a decent amount of stores, but some of my splits I am feeding to prep for winter. If the hives had not burned through so much of their stores this summer we may have had a nice fall surplus. They were very light going into fall.
    To everything there is a season....

Extremely heavy flow here. Going into my eighth year and have not seen a fall flow like this. All hives are two deeps some three and at least one super. Some have two supers. I have 7 5/8 spacers for one gallon feed pails that were drawn with natural comb and filled on many hives.

Had a good flow by all accounts here. Shouldn't have a problem wintering.

Flow seems to be nearly non existent and temps are still in the 80's some days low 90's. bees are eating stores faster than I can feed them. I have more honey in my hive from sugar water this year than they ever made from nectar. 150 lbs on one hive alone. that is going to get split up among 4 hives in a few days. At this rate it would be cheaper to let the bees die and buy nucs next spring. It looks like it will be a long warm fall.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

My fall flow here is about half over and has been very good this year, for a change. However, I think the bees put most of the nectar down in the brood chambers rather than the supers, which is ok, less I have to feed this fall. Pulled some supers of goldenrod honey, but rather than extract them I will save it for emergency feeding if I need it in late winter/spring. They have really brought in the pollen from goldenrod and asters, I can see now how I end up with full supers of pollen down in the lowest brood box. John