Thread: Shuttin Down?

Default Shuttin Down?

The fall flow here was terrible, i didn't get a single once of honey from it but I still thought i had four hives that were going into the winter healthy until i went into the one of the hives yesterday and found no sign of the queen. I was wondering if she's shuttin down already or if its too early the year. Outwardly they have not really shown typical signs of queenlessness, in fact the hive is usally pretty aggresive but when i did the inspection they were more on the calmer side which made me think that the queen mabye just shut down a little early?

Default Re: Shuttin Down?

Probably right on schedule since you are probably due for a frost this week.

When I looked in my hives last week, I had two deep frames full of capped brood and nothing else, both hives. I think they are going into winter mode, and you won't see any more brood for a while, and then only small patches.

It's October, after all.

Peter

Found the queen in all 6 of my hives, but 2 had already shut down this week, even with pollen and honey stores and both coming in...

only small patches of brood, if any, in my hives this week. Most of my queens have pretty much shut down. My carni/Caucasian queens have all shut down completely.

Hives are all over the place. Italians still have small patches of brood. Carni and Russians have shut down completely. All hives are drone free and a few Italian weak hives are still raising brood at a good clip to play catch up.

I would say if the bees are calm and not restless......they are queen right. Very difficult to evaluate in October.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

i still have some hives with wall to wall brood still a good flow going on