Hybrid View

Default Wet frames, where to place for clean-up

After extracting one super full of honey, is it best to put that super full of wet frames back on the hive for the bees to clean up, or can it be placed outside for the bees to clean in the open? I just want them to clean it up so that I can store it until next season; I don't want them to put anything in it.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Wet frames, where to place for clean-up

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

I save mine for next year. They move into and work wet supers much quicker then dry ones.

I tried different things with wet frames this year.

1) After my 1st extraction in summer and honey flow, I put wet supers back on the hive and within a day or two they cleaned up the residual honey on the frames and capped it.

2) In late summer, When I put the wet supers away from hive, the bees went crazy with it. However, there were dead bees, wasps, bumblebees around the supers and the comb got chewed up pretty bad. I would put a tray under it to catch the chewed up wax for processing. I was disappointed with how much they chewed up the comb. If you do this I wouldn't leave it out too many days.

3) Recently, I put a wet super above the hive and above inner cover and they cleaned it and chewed up the comb.

Not sure the best way to clean them up. Perhaps it is best to let them clean it up next season when they go to fill them.

I lost a couple of hives this year and by the time I got a chance to take it apart (got ill) the moths had torn them up. I threw the frames in plastic and threw them in the freezer for a couple of weeks (to kill the moths) then placed them in a spare bedroom for storage while I found the correct type of moth crystals. DON'T DO THIS. When I went to repack with the crystals I found a great big moldy mess.

I have unwrapped the frames and placed them in the sun to try and dry them out. Not sure I can salvage the wax but there are bees working them pretty hard right now. I guess the next step is to put them back in strorage with some parachlorobenzene and see it that will do anything with the residual mold.