Default Over Fed NUC, yes? No?

I have a NUC I'm planning on over wintering and I think I over fed. All 5 frames are full of stores with no open comb. Should I take a frame out and replace it with an empty drawn frame to give them cluster space, or just leave it the way it is? Thanks for the input.

Default Re: Over Fed NUC, yes? No?

I think I would add another box on top with 5 more frames so they have room for brood comb build. Spring you can move to a 8-10 frame box. Or split into 2 NUCs.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

How many frames of bees are there?

westernbeekeeper - They are packed, the full 5 frames! I'm afraid that by the end of the month when our cold really starts that they won't be as large since there's no room for brood right now. My other big hives have shut down brood rearing for the most part though.

mmm - I might do that, just stack the new box below. Guess Ill have to see if I can scrounge out enough drawn comb to do that, thanks.

Do you have any partially filled brood combs from another hive that you could replace a couple of full frames with? Ideally in our area you want the two outside frames full and at least a two inch ring of capped honey over the cluster on the center frame, but I had a late swarm last year that completely plugged out like yours about this time with only 300 empty cells in the center frame that survived just fine after I installed an empty brood frame in the center. They had a full 4 frames of bees going into winter. I was amazed how well they wintered and built up this spring. In fact I used the queen for a breeder this year. They came from a feral colony in a barn thats had bees in it for over 20 years. Nothing like good locally acclimated genetics!

Thanks SPRUCE BEE, appreciate the perspective, especially from some one close to my area! Yes, I think I will take the middle frame out and replace it with one from one of my larger hives. I'll find a frame with a cap of honey and open below. Thanks