Default Mass Robbing Spree

My theiving Italians think its trick-or-treat already !

Not much one can do but reduce entrances as much as possible.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Default Re: Mass Robbing Spree

Wow! Keep those entrances reduced. Maybe try open feeding to divert attention to the other hives?

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    Wow! Keep those entrances reduced. Maybe try open feeding to divert attention to the other hives?
    No! don't do anything to encourage them. You need to protect the hives and get the yard quieted down as quickly as possible.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Thanks, Jim, I wasn't sure that that would help or not. Thanks for setting my idea straight!

If at all possible set up a sprinkler for 24 hours and most of the robbers will go home and stop robbing
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

I reduced my entrances to 3 inches x 3/8 and put some duct tape over a few holes. So far no robbing in the last two days.
    Charlie

Absolutely reduce entrances. Looks like you've got multiple places where bees can get access. I'd go back tonight and try to seal these up and reduce back to a single small entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Absolutely reduce entrances. Looks like you've got multiple places where bees can get access. I'd go back tonight and try to seal these up and reduce back to a single small entrance.
    I don't have multiple entrances they are probing EVERY SEAM in every hive looking for a way to get past the guards.
    I took off the supers (got my second sting of the year ) and stuffed grass in the entrances (some top some bottom my hives are old and mix-matched)
    SOP every fall here with these thieving Italians!
    Thanks,Mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Apply some vicks vapo rub around the entrances.
    Just some thoughts.

I had some robbing issues also,if you can reach them with a hose you can spray them with water,it worked for me!

If the cracks between the boxes are too large for the bees to propolise shut, I'd consider repairing the boxes so they can. Makes a big difference on wintering and on keeping the "honey smell" inside.

Close your top entrances completely, either with a plug or by sliding the telescoping cover over them. No need to have a top vent right now, and it will help with the robbing.

Make entrance reducers to fit the whole entrance with a slot 1/4" deep and an inch or inch and a half wide -- the bees can easily defend that and it will still allow considerable movement of foragers. It's a good size for winter, too. If you have 3/4" openings, make the slot on the top side so it won't get clogged with dead bees over the winter.

Peter