Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Going cold turkey, getting cold feet

@Dan

One of the inherent problems with BeeSource and other Internet forums is that people responding to posts have little hard information to go on. There are lots of posts by people who want to keep bees without using treatments that unfortunately are scared to open their hives and see what is in there.

It is good to know that you have thought about the potential consequences of being treatment free.

I have a state bee inspector coming here in about an hour to look over the yards here (two) - and while I will be interested to know the Nosema counts, I am much more interested if there are virus signs that I have missed. I make no pretense at knowing everything there is to know about bees and welcome additional (knowledgeable) eyes. I do hope the temp rises a bit in the next hour.

My yard without treatments was started this spring from packages from BeeWeaver. I have found them feisty on occasion - we'll see what the state inspector has to say. They look healthy enough to me but with insufficient stores to over winter successfully.

I should have stopped after my first Post. Thank you for accepting my apology. I hope you have low winterloss and can expand your apiary next season.

A little advice? Breed from the survivors.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Well, sorry about that, but I can't see any more than what you show and I didn't see any planning.
    I tend to see it more as an issue of thinking you know more than you have seen. The OP is not responsible for what you think or post based upon your lack of information.

One very important thing to know usually is when you don't know enough.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Thank you Daniel Y. I appreciate how you lead by example. I'm glad for your advice.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I tend to think that when someone is magnanimous enough to make an apology that it benefits the general tone of the discussion for everyone to move on.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I should have stopped after my first Post. Thank you for accepting my apology. I hope you have low winterloss and can expand your apiary next season.

A little advice? Breed from the survivors.
    I hope to! I have dog eared Lawrence John Connor's "Queen Rearing Essentials" and "Bee Sex Essentials" over this past year reading through them multiple times. Although I am leaning towards Joseph Clemens "system" for my first attempts at grafting this coming spring rather than the start finisher Dr. Connor recomends. All this assuming I have survivors to work from of course. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I tend to think that when someone is magnanimous enough to make an apology that it benefits the general tone of the discussion for everyone to move on.
    Agreed, and magnanimous is such a great word as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman43 View Post
    Agreed, and magnanimous is such a great word as well!
    Thanks. I knew I kept the ole Thesaurus around for a reason. Mrs. Thayer would have been proud.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I'm not speaking to anyone in general, but the rules of this forum place upon the poster the respect and responsibility to post only about things they have seen or experienced. We want and need intensely practical information.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

My ultimate goal is treatment free, why continue with a crutch that doesn’t allow me or my bees to build their strength. My original post was only to vent a little of the anxiety I am feeling. I am sure that many, regardless of their management style, feel some amount of concern for their bees survival over the winter. I do not fool myself that I have given them an extra large hurdle to that goal.
    Dan -

Having been down this road myself, I know the feeling when you decided to stop all treatments and know it will be a rough road ahead. I think it's fairly common to experience a down turn before you will see upward stability in your bees. It took a few years for my bees to rebound.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    I'm not speaking to anyone in general,
    Then you must be speaking to someone specifically.
    Regards, Barry

And Sol, your website and blog is one of the many sources of intensely pratical information I have tried to glean knowledge from (although I didn't green dye the 2:1 I am feeding the nucs). I appreciate all those who are willing to help and support through direct communications, or taking the time to post websites and publish books!

Thanks Barry, I figured this is a long term project

And Sol, your website and blog is one of the many sources of intensely pratical information I have tried to glean knowledge from (although I didn't green dye the 2:1 I am feeding the nucs).
    It's my pleasure to help. If you ever have any suggestions of things for me to write about, don't hesitate to tell me.

I have never found the dye in the honey that gets harvested. It's a safety factor to make sure my product is as pure as possible. Generally, the hives that need feeding are not the ones that make extra honey anyway, or at least my management style leads to that conclusion.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

This is an interesting thread. Was just about to post a tongue in cheek comment about beekeeing being an annual business, meaning you purchase the bees in the spring, get the best out of them before they die and buy new ones nextspring. It can be and certainly is frutrating. I bot two nucs this spring that were supposed to be "survivor" bees resistance to mites and have lost both of them to mites. I bot two 2 pound packages of Carnies and have lost one of them. The other I treated with Hopguard. So the ones left to themselves are gone and the hopguard treated hive thrives. Really wishing I could find a way to NOT to buy bees every spring. I see a lot of talk here about nucs and splits. Going to have to bone up on that over the winter and try to get some kind of game plan together. I still love em (bees) but the frustration is endless.

Only "guard" going in my hives is a mouse guard. If they die they die, but when they live, they get tough! Keep them clean !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12