Hybrid View

Default Going cold turkey, getting cold feet

I just need to post my anxiety over the possibility of letting my bees die out through the winter. I left them 3-4 boxes of stores each ( 8 frame mediums), but the rest is up to them. Mite counts were really high last week, but brood production has dropped off with the temps so perhaps that Will slow the parasites down. Fingers are crossed, but it is going to be a long anxious winter! First treatment free year jitters I suppose.

Default Re: Going cold turkey, getting cold feet

Don't sweat it, if they all die there's always next year. Catch a swarm, do a cutout, buy a package. Lots of ways to get bees. Best of luck to you though =)

Due diligence would say to requeen with known mite tolerant genetics before going cold turkey.
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Hang in there buddy. You can do it! Takinga risk is the process of gaining the knowledge weighing the factors and moving forward. Gambling is calculating the odds and then jumping off a cliff.

Expect 100% loss. Then you will be pleased if one makes it thru the Winter strong enuf to split. How many do you have?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Expect 100% loss. Then you will be pleased if one makes it thru the Winter strong enuf to split. How many do you have?
    3 full size hives with genetics out of Palmer's bees
    I made 8 nuc splits in August to overwinter with the following queens (3 Purvis bros, 4 Russell sunkists, 1 caught swarm)

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    This is actually some really really good advice. I expected 100% loss on my 3 colonies last winter, all 3 made it through and it made for a very good spring.
    We the willing have done so much with so little for so long we can now do anything with nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman43 View Post
    Mite counts were really high last week. First treatment free year jitters I suppose.
    This winter will give you a chance to save up some money to purchase new bees next spring.Seriously,good luck.