Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

backwoodsman

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mike haney 
#1 ·
did yall ever know any real backwoodsman self sufficient people that kept bees? i remember a guy when i was little that used to have hives out from maine to florida., he would buy his food in bulk and didnt spend much money. had a trailer back in the woods.

#2 ·
The man who taught me lived like Daniel Boone and kept his bees in hollow logs.
I know folks who have never had a tax-paying job that live on barter,one that makes hand forged knives,one who makes flintlock rifles,several folks that can't read or write and have no wish to.
Ohio co. KY is one of the largest counties in KY yet one of the smallest in population-lots of whom are considered extremely poor by the government and who would gladly crack your head if you called them that because they are both happy and proud.
Not sure what your question is though.
Good Luck, Mike

#4 ·
J.C. Always robbed his bee "gums" on the Fourth of July and said that gave them time and INCINTIVE to repair rebuild and restock honey before winter.
The hollow logs were split in half and most had been chopped into to make a bigger hollow.
After the robbing the two halves are put back together with as much of the brood comb as possible and honeysuckle vines twisted around them and cinched with a stick( think emergency tournicate)
By the time the vines had dried out the bees had the log propolized together good as new-top (hand split planks) and all as good as solid.
No "smoker" involved just a handful of dry grass smoldering away and the smoke blown with lung power.
Beesuit consisted of long sleeves buttoned with socks over pants and a bit of cheesecloth tucked under a hat and draped over ones face-JC said if the couldn't see your eyes they weren't sure what you were and didn't sting-MUCH!
Good times with a good man, long gone now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.