Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hello from TX

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  alexanderbuzzsaw 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am new to bee keeping and will be attending my first bee keeping class in a couple of weeks. I reside in the great state of TX, town of Poetry. 32 years old, veteran, and married. I look forward to learning more about this wonderful world of bees.

Take Care

Andrew

#5 ·
Hello

I am also a newbie to this hobby and will be atending a course next spring. I'll try and everything ready before then, so I can get up and runing as soon as possible in 2013.

I live in the north east of England, so the summer isn't too long. I am lucky though, there is a well known expert on the hobby, who lives in my town. he keeps bees at home and says damp can cause problems, rather than cold.

Hopefully I'll be OK

#10 ·
Re: Welcome Bee McGee :)

On the back of the house in the eave they have been there for at least 3 years. I was mowing and they went wild and I also got stung had to put on my bee suit now to mow, they also will follow you for a very long way before they give up.
The ones in my shop wall have been there for about 3 months and act the same way. I set about 4 feet from the wall and never bothered them however they were all around me and trying to sting me so also walk a very long way before they gave up.
When I was growing up Dad had honey bees and we could go up to them and they would not sting you and we had no bee suits, also with these I used my smoker on them and that only made them madder.
I do not won’t to kill them, because I run a farm called SIX MILE PIC-N-PAC PRODUCE and the bees pollinate the vegetable plants.
I noticed they are getting meaner by the day and I know there only trying to protect their hive.
I have read were they replacing the queen with a good queen and that does not work.
I have built my own bee hives, bee vac, supers, and broads and have bee suit, and smoker.
I’m going to get them into the hive and see what happens. . I was told here in Texas there are no more good bee’s there all Africanized bees what do you say about that.

#13 ·
Re: Welcome Bee McGee :)

You're going to try and hive them and requeen? Please keep us posted.

I know quite a few beeks in the area who say their bees are nice as can be. Mine included, which, BTW, are from B Weaver out of Navasota, and are part Africanized. You might try a queen or two from them. They apparently don't have any now, but will soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.