Thread: Placing hives

Default Placing hives

Any input on this placement would be appreciated.... This Spring I plan to place my first hives, 2 of them, in my wooded back yard. It is primarily mature Red Pine. The canopy is high and sparse so it lets a lot of dappled sunshine through. The site is on a hillside but is the best spot with natural windbreaks on the north and west sides. I'd move it just 30 feet to a flatter spot but it would be in view of the neighbors driveway. The neighbors house is over 100 yards away with enough cover so that the hives won't be obvious. However, me standing out there in a bee veil and puffing a smoker might draw a little attention. So the site on the slope offers a more natural blind. Finally, there are lot's of small ponds and other water sources around but the nearest one is probably the neighbors in ground pool. Can I offer a water source more tempting and satisfying to my bees than the neigbors pool? How much of a nuisance could they be at the pool?
    Oh, and since pines and hardwoods (oak and maple) are going to be the nearest source of pollen, will that have much affect on the taste of the honey? The taste is really derived from nectars right? And nectar only comes from flowers?
    Thanks

Default Re: Placing hives

They will be a big nuisance with a pool. Bees prefer water with chlorine and chemicals, or maybe it is just easier to find with the smell.
    A fly-way barrier would be nice with neighbors that close. Anything to make the bees fly over eye level, e.g. bushes, fence, buildings, etc.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

If you open your pool early they will find it and use it throughout the summer. I've had more luck opening a week or two later. By then they've seem to have found an alternate water source and stick to it. I've done it both ways.

Theres no telling were they will drink from, my neighbors have a pool, but my bees prefer to drink my chickens water. When it rains and there are mud puddles in the coop, they cant resist those.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

I'd hate to rule out having hives at my house just because my neighbor has a pool. Would anyone else here agree?

Yes, I also would hate to rule out having bees because the neighbors have a pool, but the language in your OP leads me to believe that you expect trouble if your neighbors know that you have bees. I hope that you have good relations with your neighbors, but understand that this is not always the case. If they frequent the neighbor's pool, might that not cause the neighbors to investigate the source?

I would suggest that you take steps to keep them away from the neighbor's pool. Supply them with a consistent and attractive water source. I have had some success by adding a little chlorine bleach to the water to get them started on it. ( I use a bird bath next to the hive.)
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

The swimming pool problem is discussed in this forum quite often. I would try using water from their or some other pool in a small chicken water bucket close to your hive. If they like SP water, give it to them.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Morning Frank.
    Come spring, (mid April) contact me. I'll help you get started. Your bees should arrive about the same time. Make sure to order local packages so they are more hearty to our winters. Are you all set as far as equipment?