Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Anyone ever moved hives using no hive tools?

I guess you never were a Boy Scout. Go unprepared and you will learn why the Boy Scout Motto is "Be Prepared".

What's the hurry? Get youre smoker, hivetool, veil and gloves. Move the hives as large as you can, don't disassemble them, unless you have to. Get a partner to help lift and move them.

Have you ever gotten a free kitten? Just because these hives are free that doesn't mean you won't pay for them, in a way. This will be a learning experience for you. Take it slow and prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Absolutely, I have moved dozens of hives without bee tools.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Quote Originally Posted by jbeshearse View Post
    As always you guys are making this way to complex. I'll start with the basics.
    1. It's hot this time of year in your area so to avoid heat stroke you need to stay cool ni recommend you wear shorts, flip-flops and no shirt at all.

2. As you will probably get sweat and smelly a lot of good strong cologne is a must.

3. Forget the veil, again to hot to wear n

4. Last thing on proper apparel is that time is important. I advise wearing at least two watches. Loose black watchbands work the best n

You should take a helper to film the operation so you can be sure to document the process. The helper is probabl not going to get to hot so a veil and bee suit are a good idea. Besides most Helpers are usually a bit afraid of bees to start with.

Now that we got the gear out of the way we can discuss the actual move.

1. Timing. Bees don't like to fly when it's raining. Use this to your advantage. Wait until a good thunderstorm is rolling in if possible.

2. There is probably a lot of weeds grown up around these hives. Take a weed eater and whack the weeds away from the hives. I is best to actually let the string strip some paint of the hive as you go then you can assess the integrity of the woodenware. Do an extra good job at the entrance as you will be working in that area

3. Be sure to hammer the lids in with nails. I have found that 5/8" long nails in 1/2" plywood tops work well.

4. No need to da het strap them together, the bees probably have them glued together pretty good.
    5. Back your truck all the way up to the hives, no need to have to carry them far. You can tell when you are far enough back when you hear a good thump, some loud buzzing, and see a small swarm in your rear view.

6. At this time the bees may be getting a little anxious, if you have access to one of those high volume bass amps, they really like music. So actually lay a speaker face down on the top and crank the bass way up.

7. If the hives are light you can just pick em up and toss em in the truck. If they are to heavy then you are going tO have to have a mechanical advantage. I recommend using a sheet of plywood as a ramp. Lay one end on your tailgate and the other on the ground. Use a bunch of veg oil on the plywood to make it easy to slide the hives up.

Oh wait I forgot to tell you to close the entrances up. To do this you will need to run the bees back in the hive. Just lay down close to the hive, take deep breath and blow them back into the hive. The worse your breath is the better.

After running them back in the hive they will stay if you face the entrances of two hives facing each other, touching is better. They will keep each other contained.

There you go. If you need further instructions on glossing and set up. Just let me know.
    This cracked me up! Got to talk to the guy with the bees personally. His brother has a smoker I can use and he has a veil too. Turns out he only has 3 hives, only one with bees. I am very relieved. Said he didn't know what his grand daughter was talking about!

I always move hives without bee tools. Just finished moving 10 hives back to my apiary this morning. I use ratchet straps, a staple gun if needed, a dolly and a ramp for loading. I do keep a veil and a pair of gloves in the truck in case a hive gets dropped or the bees are cranky.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

I moved three hives this year with no tools and no problems, I did have help.

Sorry they are only 5.99

I move hives at night every now and then. Duct tape or staple screen or hardware cloth over the entrance and make sure all the "extra" entrances are blocked too. Throw a ratchet strap around the entire stack and lift with your legs.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeshearse View Post
    As always you guys are making this way to complex. I'll start with the basics.
    1. It's hot this time of year in your area so to avoid heat stroke you need to stay cool ni recommend you wear shorts, flip-flops and no shirt at all.
    Awesome post!

Get prepared. Bring help. Expect for worse case scenario.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12