Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Two hives for sale - Is this a good situation/deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McCarty View Post
    I have found I need to replace my smoker and gloves pretty regularly - Jackets not far behind either. They see a lot of hard use.
    How often are you talking? I assume you have a lot more hives than I plan on (3-5 over the next 2 years, with nucs in reserve as needed for my overwintering strategy).

Wow this forum is hardcore with moderation. A warning already, and I didn't even get in a bee quarrel with another person

I normally run anywhere between 12 to 20 hives depending upon removals/season/sales/etc. I have 18 going right now headed into Winter. I turn over a fair amount of bees. I do on average 15-20 removals per season too - they are what wears out my gear. I need a new pair of gloves and usually a smoker every year or so. They just wear out and get holes and rips in them. The smokers usually come apart. My Mann Lake has held up the best so far. I bought a fancy stainless imported one once, and it was dead in a year. The hinge and the welds came apart.

Sounds like you made a good move.

I think you made the right call. Mites build up over time and take a bunch of two year old hives. If the hives made it through winter I would be tempted to make an offer. But, since you want to go with different management style and different equipment you are better off starting fresh with what you want. The guy can probably sell those hives in spring for what he is asking but, this time of year I think he is way too high.