Srinagar indian occupied jammu and kashmir

Default Winter feeding and pollen substitutes

Hi
    let me first tell you that i am new to beekeeping.

as the fall is already there and winter is going to start. What i find in my hives is very less honey, no pollen and no eggs. Actually the autumn crop was destroyed due heavy rains and flood. I feed them sugar syrup these days and they are doing well in storing it. What i am scared of is, "can they survive without pollen for almost five months?"

I am again telling you that i am new to beekeeping. Please let me know is sugar syrup sufficient or i will need some sort of pollen substitutes ?
    In our area there are no such substitutes sold. So, looked for making some on my own and fortunately i got the recipe. But the problem is that brezers yeast is not available in market. Can i make pollen substitute from other ingredients leaving brezers yeast aside ?

soya+milk powder+vitamin c

Please please please help me guys

Thanks to all of you in advance

Default Re: Winter feeding and pollen substitutes

Pollen is the raw food for baby bees - Think of it this way: Pollen=Bee Bread=Royal Jelly. A bit of Royal Jelly is fed to all developing eggs/larvae.

It is hard to conceive a situation where the queen would completely cease egg laying for 5 months, so some pollen will be needed.

Syrup is carbohydrate - food for older bees.

We have plenty of fall pollen here which means I have no experience with sub recipes.
    Last edited by Andrew Dewey; 10-26-2014 at 07:52 AM.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Were do you get your bee supplies from? Can you order pollen patties online in time for winter?
    DeBEE

debcst5823
    I coundn't find any such indian online store

Andrew thanks a lot but could you please help me by any reference

I recommend looking at this website for a discussion of pollen substitute recipes and ideas:

http://www.scientificbeekeeping.com

The author, Randy Oliver, discusses bee nutrition extensively, including discussion of various pollen subsitutes that could be made by the beekeeper, along with a discussion of the various ingredients. Oliver is very well regarded by beekeepers in the US, as source of excellent and useful, practical advice.

BTW, I hope you will not be offended if I point out that you are actually looking for "brewer's yeast", not brezers yeast. Having the correct spelling may help you search for it with more success. But since it is most commonly used in the production of beer it might be hard to come by if you live in area that bans alcohol.

In the late 1950s I lived on Dal Lake for most of year and I recall it with great pleasure as a beautiful place with extremely warm and friendly people; very welcoming to a nine year old girl. From the beekeeping point of view, what I immediately thought of when I saw where you were posting from was wonderful amount of flowers everywhere.

Friendly greetings and best wishes for your bees from a beekeeper in northen New York State.

Enjambres

Enjambres yes it's brewers, you can consider it a typing mistake

I am very happy to know that you ever visited "indian occupied kashmir", my seiged homeland. By the way i live in downtown area rainawari which very close to dal. I spend most of my time in summer fishing through dal

Thanks a lot for your help. Let me check.

Come to kashmir again once again. I willbe there to welcome you

Personally, and take it as you see fit, but I have found myself making pollen subs instead. I have had a few chances to get some at the local store but not when I needed them. When I did, they were all out!

I'm okay with it as I can also buy or obtain raw ingredients to make some myself. I know that there are many here who will stress the point of proper nutrition for the bees. But if you don't have it all, make do with something, as long as it does not kill them. Heck I have seen people use regular wheat flour!

If you atleast have some sort of flour in your area that has a protein content, I can't see why it would not work. All the rest is for other nutrition that helps for longevity. Mix sugar in with the flour and if you have any essential oil like lemongrass or spearmint, etc. It will help in them taking it. I personally could not see why mixing sugar with some peanut butter would not be out of the question, either.

If you have some warm temps for flying and not wet all the time, you can do a dry pollen and the bees will fly in it and collect feed that way too...

And don't forget the chicken egg yolks too.
    Let us know how it goes. Maybe some you tube
    vids will help you out.
    I luv bee source!

Hexorz and beepro thanks let me try it
    hope everything will go fine

A couple more questions guys. Will the pollen substitute stimulate the queens to lay eggs and raize new brood ? i mean i am bothered about the lifespan of bees, can they survive for 4-5 months of winter ?
    And how would i come to know that they are utilizing the patties properly ? will they store it like pollen ?

Thank you in advance