Default Wintering Two Queens In one hive

still new that is and, this is my first Winter. I have to hive One that was started in may from a swarm and is very strong. They have build up and filled two deep supers am are still take in the 2:1 at about 1.5 gals a week. As for the Second hive is was a cut out from Two different placed both very small hives and they were placed in the hive in july. They have only build up five deep frames.

I am woundering if there is a way to winter the two hives together and keep both queens without put either hive in jeopardy. I am want to keep both queens due to the temperment of the smaller have, and the production of the larger hive.

Anyone have ideas?

Default Re: Wintering Two Queens In one hive

I have a few smallish new colonies as well. Am considering wintering them indoors.
    Cheers,
    Drew

Make a top board for the large hive that has a double screened area the size of the nucleus box you put the 5-frame hive in (don't leave them in a standard deep for the winter, too much space). Put the nuc with no bottom board on top of the standard hive for the winter. You can put them on their own bottom board in the spring.

If the small hive seem strong enough, you can just use a double screen between them that is completely enclosed. A shim 1/2" or so high with screen on both sides will work. That way, warmth from the large hive will keep the small one toasty warm.

Make sure you have adequate stores going into winter -- put a candy board on the small hive if they don't, it's way too late to feed.

Peter

so would i make it so the enterance is the back. what about robbing

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    Make a top board for the large hive that has a double screened area the size of the nucleus box you put the 5-frame hive in (don't leave them in a standard deep for the winter, too much space). Put the nuc with no bottom board on top of the standard hive for the winter. You can put them on their own bottom board in the spring.
    Have you actually wintered nucs in this configuration?

When I've done them with a double screen the top hive always died from moisture. When I've done them with a solid board between (1/4" Luan) they have done well.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF