Hybrid View

Default Where are eggs laid this time of year?

I am a 1st year newbee and I am getting ready for my first wintering. I inspected over the weekend. The frames in my top deep have quite a lot of stores in them( a few complete frames and some partially filled) with some of the middle frames having an area left open for brood, from what I can assume. The bottom deep had some stores on a few frames around the top corners and sides. Most of the frames in the bottom though, were very open with empty cells. I stopped treating my hives with Apigard 1 week ago because my Queen stopped laying. Now there were some eggs back in the cells. I had been feeding them but now with the Queens laying again, I don't want limit area for egg laying.

Will she be laying most of the eggs in the bottom deep or the top deep at this time of the year?

And are the areas left open at this time in the top and bottom intended to be empty cells allowing that space to be the area for the cluster. Sorry for the long thinking here. Thanks, juzzerbee

Default Re: Where are eggs laid this time of year?

Very good question. I too have a lot of empty cells in the brood nest, and have other full frames of capped brood. Will they backfill with honey? Should I be feeding them to hurry this on? NW Arkansas.

The queen will lay where the bees have decided to cluster for the winter, which can be either upper or lower box. They will back fill the brood nest where they are not having the queen lay by either collecting more nectar or moving cured honey from the top of the hive down and from lower frame up if they are not using the lower box.

Make sure you hive is up to weight for winter, feed if not, and let them get about their business, they know what to do.

Peter

Great thanks. I have the bucket feeders on right now. I have learned through this site and through experience that when it comes down to it, the bees take care of me, I don't take care of them. juzzerbee