Default are Virgin queens a lost cause this time of year in Northern California (Bay Area)?

I have a queenless hive that is actively building out 4 queen cells (from a frame of eggs I donated from another hive). My concern is that during a my recent inspections, I haven't seen any drones inside any of my 3 hives. I've heard some people say that there are drones year round in the bay area, others say that they are usually kicked out of the hives by this time of year. Anyone have opinions on this?

Default Re: are Virgin queens a lost cause this time of year in Northern California (Bay Area

My hive is still producing drones... Rather a lot of them, actually.

Default Re: are Virgin queens a lost cause this time of year in Northern California (Bay Area

I have plenty of drones still in SF and San Mateo. If the weather holds out, you may get lucky!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Location -- has a very strong influence on what is successful and what isn't.

Here in Tucson, Arizona I raise queens all year-'round, almost every year. I would imagine that, from what was posted by others in your near vicinity, that you likely have a very good chance to have your hive successfully raise themselves a replacement queen.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I saw few drones last weekend, though their numbers are falling fast here. I am lot further north.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by BayHighlandBees View Post
    I have a queenless hive that is actively building out 4 queen cells (from a frame of eggs I donated from another hive).
    I found a supersedure cell in one of my SF hives yesterday. Looks like we're both in the same boat. Pray for sun and no fog!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Not at all, my bees raised a queen over x-mass holiday last year. Noticed her returning from a mating flight because of the sound of all the drones entering the hive.
    Dan