Default Is it too late in the season?

I have a hive that has been ravaged by wax moths, hive beetles & mites. It also swarmed a while ago. I have worked hard to eraticate all pests and what I'm left with is a VERY week hive. I'm thinking about combining with a very strong NUC I have. Is it too late in the season? Should I proceed?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
    Steph

Default Re: Is it too late in the season?

So many factors will go into that discision...
    On the surface I'd say combine and feed asap.

was going to leave it at what i originally said but was bugged by couple things in your original post so no offense intended

"has been ravaged by wax moths" probably not though I'm sure they took advantage of a hive weakened by the " hive beetles & mites" and the lack of population after the swarm.

"I have worked hard to eraticate all pests and what I'm left with is a VERY week hive."

most I think would say try to keep the hive strong and the pests are usually not a problem if you decide you need to treat to keep the hive strong the goal is usually to knock numbers back and keep them under control not eraticate cause thats not really a sustainable level and the level of chemicals in your hive might be more of a problem with that type of treatment goal. That statement just made me nervous for you hop guard can cause queens to have problems which would compound what you got going on. Good luck

I need to clarify because I am a chemical free keeper....

I treated for mites with Apiguard in August which made it vulnerable to wax moths which I have diligently been scraping out of the frames weekly and setting up traps around the hive. I also have been using Beetle Blaster traps with mineral oil to take care of the overabundance of hive beetles. Also spread diatomacous earth around hives to take care of beetles on the ground

So, should I or shouldn't I combine with a strong Nuc? Ugh......Do I want to loose not only the one hive but possibly a nuc as well? That's why I can't make up my mind and need some advice on the pros and cons.

You need to reduce the hives down to a level where they have enough bees to cover nearly every frame to keep the moths and beetles under control (you will lose trying to scrape out the wax moth larvae and trap the beetles). Remember wax moth traps are wax moth attractants as well like the Japanese Beetle traps that lure them to come to your yard. Put the traps away from the hives. It is not too late to combine in Va. Another option would be to reduce it down to a small nuc and baby it over the winter, keep it in an unheated garage or similar, feed, take outside on warm days...kind of like having a dog. If you have resources available you could add a frame(s) of capped brood and honey to the weak one. If you combine them you are going to lose one of the queens. You could combine and then split in the spring.

I know I will loose one queen if I combine.........the queen that the hive reared before it swarmed. The queen I have in the nuc was raised by a friend and is hygenic

Ask yourself what you hope to gain by combining. if your strong nuc does not need the extra workers then there is no reason to combine. If it does then consider combining. Otherwise remove any unused comb from the weak nuc. Put blank foundation in until the are out of room on drawn. Then replace with dean comb when they need it. Feed them to help them build up stores.