Default Good brood pattern and occupied supersede cell. what does that mean?

Good brood pattern and occupied supersede cell. What does that mean?

Default Re: Good brood pattern and occupied supersede cell. what does that mean?

Maybe it is the bees insurance policy going into winter.
    This happens more often than some people realize.
    I've a hive doing it now and expect more to do so in the next 6 weeks.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Default Re: Good brood pattern and occupied supersede cell. what does that mean?

Does a good brood pattern typically exist when a swarm occurs? Maybe you caught them at the brief moment when a new queen has hatched but not killed off any other rivals?
    Last edited by Seymore; 09-17-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

It means that a good brood pattern is not the bee's criteria for not needing replacement of their queen. Our criteria means nothing to them. They have their own criteria.

Walt
    Opinion does not yeild to conflicting facts.

Quote Originally Posted by varmint05 View Post
    Good brood pattern and occupied supersede cell. What does that mean?
    I would imagine it means just that, they've got a good brood pattern and an occupied supersedure cell. Why does it have to mean anything other than what it plainly is?

Thumbs Up Re: Good brood pattern and occupied supersede cell. what does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by wcubed View Post
    It means that a good brood pattern is not the bee's criteria for not needing replacement of their queen....snip...
    Supersedure is the result of the bees' perception of a (potential) defect in the queen, her physical attributes, her pheromone levels, or other performance that is unknown or vague to the human observer. Consider it 'bee insurance', providing the best chance of success for the colony. Bees seem to do more superseding lately, there are many asserted conclusions on line about the cause(s).

Supersedure is an opportunity to incorporate locally adapted genes into your apiary. Some experts consider genetic input by local drones in mating flights a good thing, some don't. I'm in an 'Africanized" area and watch closely as the newly mated queens populate the colony after their mating flights. So far, I've been very fortunate with good temperament and good production in my home grown queens.

varmit05, how did your SS cell turn out?
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)