Default Hygienic Study from Canada.

I think that they did a great job of illustrating hygienic behavior and the relationship to markers.

http://genomebiology.com/content/pdf...2-13-9-r81.pdf

Default Re: Hygienic Study from Canada.

Very interesting.

Now if they can come up with a simple tester for these protein markers, then we would have a usefull tool.

Maybe something that work similar to home pregnancy tester or drug tester kits.

Thanks for posting the study

It would be very interesting if the Canadian and USA researchers would work together and extend their research into the genetic level.
    I noticed that the data did not reference the source of breeder queens.
    We will find out that the desired trait or traits are going to be in the area of Quantitive genetics and not a simple single gene facor.
    Thanks for posting.
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I agree, with cautions about focussing too hard on singular resistance mechanisms. I'd buy a tester or pay for assays - as long as they were cost effective (and non-destructive).

But I think the established assay methods they used to determine which colonies were variously hygienic are simple stuff any beekeeper can use for selection purposes, so the market for instruments may be limited.

The fact of hygienic behaviours and their heritability are well established prior to this trial - lets not give them credit for that. I'm not sure either that they are the first to establish relationships between these and specific loci. But is all useful stuff.

Mike
    Anti-husbandry: Medication + Reproduction = Continuing Sickness
    http://www.suttonjoinery.co.uk/CCD/

They have test sticks in 3rd world countries that test for four or five diseases in a single stick. Testing for multiple proteins would be awsome for identifying which queens to breed to which drone combinations... And for identifying if you are getting what you pay for in a queen. Nice study thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by danmcm View Post
    They have test sticks in 3rd world countries that test for four or five diseases in a single stick. Testing for multiple proteins would be awsome for identifying which queens to breed to which drone combinations... And for identifying if you are getting what you pay for in a queen. Nice study thanks for sharing!
    How would sticks - or anything else work for a protein in a non-destructive way? Would you have to destroy the queen?

Mike

any quick strip (immuno assay strip) would be destructive some how. You wouldn't test the queen but you could test her progeny, young larvae, worker, drone etc... But you'd need to grind something up in a buffer to extract the proteins you're looking for.

My computer didn't really like the preliminary pdf format article but...

I thought the observation about the honeybee increasing a hemolymph ("bee blood" per my understanding) protein to increase coagulation as a mechanism of reducing the feeding efficiency of the Varroa mite was pretty interesting. This might explain the VSH bees ability to reduce the fertility of the mite.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFarGone View Post
    I thought the observation about the honeybee increasing a hemolymph ("bee blood" per my understanding) protein to increase coagulation as a mechanism of reducing the feeding efficiency of the Varroa mite was pretty interesting. This might explain the VSH bees ability to reduce the fertility of the mite.
    Interesting. I've thought that the mechanism would be the ability to detect and uncap large families but not small ones. That would very neatly 'breed' less fecund mites. But that's just my own theory. And of course there's no reason why there shouldn't be several - or more - separate mechanisms accounting for reduced fertility. I wondered about herbal fixes.

Increasing coagulation might also offer better protection against secondary infections.

Mike