Default Feeding for brood and egg laying.

I had been feeding my 2 hives for the past week. I felt after looking at 1 of the hives that they may have enough and I didn't want them to start filling the brood nest. My queens just began to lay again after I removed the Apiguard, and at the time, started to feed. For the 3 weeks during the treatment there have been no eggs in either hive. So I am not sure if the feeding also encouraged the Queens to begin again, or if it was from removing the Apiguard.

Since I began feeding, should I continue at this time or not? Especially since I just read that during a nectar flow(or feeding time), queens will lay more. Thanks, juzzerbee

Default Re: Feeding for brood and egg laying.

Feed 2:1 if you do feed since it's supposed to stimulate laying less. However, if you have been treating for three weeks, the bees may feel a strong need to have more winter bees, so if you don't have a lot of pollen in there, add half a protein patty too. The bees wont' let the queen lay more than they can cover and they will store the protein they don't use.

If they are up to weight, don't overdo the syrup this late in the year, but they might appreciate some to raise a round of brood.

Peter

Peter- Do you mean that feeding is suppose to stimulate laying, "MORE"? I heard it helps the laying???

Back on go the feeder buckets and protein patties to buy today. Only a half of a patty in each hive though? Is a whole patty per hive too much? What kind of patty do you suggest(megabee)? I live near a Dadant store and Lapp's Bee Supply, so I can pick up whatever I need, pretty fortunate! Thanks. juzzerbee

Peter was saying feed 2:1 as they're more prone to store it than create brood with it. You don't want the bees to overdo the brood right now. Too much patty and the bees will brood up heavily then run out of protein and crash the hive early winter unless you want to monitor them and have to maybe add more patty during winter. I've heard good and bad things about feeding too much pollen patty/sub in the fall which also may play into it. Some people have good results, some say their bees did well, then crashed. Keith Jarrett may be able to weigh in on this, he has some nice vids of feeding sub for early build ups.

Okay. Got it. I guess I want brood at this time as well as more stores since my Queens stop laying for a few weeks while I had treatment on for mites. I will just go with 2:1 at this time then and wait on the patties until I see that eggs are being laid and stores are being added to. Thanks, juzzerbee

While you are in there, check for pollen stores. If they don't have much pollen, definitely feed half a patty. You don't want to start a giant batch of brood, but you do want very well fed winter bees with high internal protein stores, plus the bees will store the patty like pollen, too.

Take a look a Randy Oliver's site and see what he has to say about protein as well.

Good luck!

Peter

I have read that the bees will not store the pollen or protein patties. It was for their own nourishment. I will try to find that source.