Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: So which frames to start with?

Very likely. Poplar is the name of over 35 different varieties of trees in the willow, cottonwood and aspen families
    Genes: Pupulus.

Poplar lumber can be bought at Home Depot right next to Oak and Cedar. It is sold as a fine stain grade wood. It is not in fact Poplar but comes from a tree of the Liriodendron genes and is not in fact even related to the poplar. How it got called Poplar I have no idea.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Reason why many do not use it for frames is because when dried it becomes hard and tough on blades. Re sharpening of blades becomes the issue as compared to cutting pine.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Hmm.. I think Daniel may be onto it, we may be talking about two totally different trees.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

There are several species of trees commonly called poplar. Tulip Poplar, Liriodendron tulipfera, has large, tulip like blossoms and lovely greenish yellow heartwood and white sapwood. It is easy to work, fairly hard, not very rot resistant, and the heartwood is pretty much impervious to termites. Grows into huge trees,

The various Populus species (cottonwood, aspen, and "hybrid poplar" have much softer wood. Very fast growing, rain branches constantly, and rot in a heartbeat. I've been using up some cottonwood lumber a friend left with us a decade or so ago for bottom bars since they don't carry much weight. Using that wood for top bars would be asking for mushy frames that break easily, it's just not tough enough for the job. Yellow or tulip poplar would work great, but I stick with "whitewood" pine, yellow pine, and cedar from the scrap pile at Menard's for top bars.

The bees don't care, but I want sturdy frames, they are too fiddly to make and I hate to waste the bees efforts making wax by breaking weak frames.

My neighbor was replacing some window sills and exterior window framing this year, and gave me the redwood the original owner used to build them. Makes great top bars.

Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12