Default Nuc's in greenhouse

Anyone ever tried overwintering nuc's in a greenhouse? Feeding them of course. Just wondering if that would give them more time to build up. I guess light might be the issue also. Just thinking of a way to get some weak hives I have that I am going to reduce to Nuc's and then keep them warm all winter to let them have a chance at surviving. Maybe just a dumb idea.

Default Re: Nuc's in greenhouse

Hi, NO, each time the temperature is going to be above 45 degree in the greenhouse bees are going to want to fly, then going to freeze out! Not the only reason, issues with feeding.
    I do put my nucs away in my barn( as a wind breaker) with candy board.
    Good luck
    Jean-Yves
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 09-30-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: UNQuote

They take cleansing flights

Keep that in mind

Is this an unheated greenhouse, or a greenhouse you are keeping plants in?

In a heated greenhouse, the bees are going to come out and fly around and try to find a way out.

Even in an unheated greenhouse, you would be surprised how much a greenhouse heats up on a sunny day. Warmer temps are going to cause the queen to start laying as they will think Spring is on the way. They will use up all their food quickly, and even if you do feed, you still have the bees coming out on warm days and trying to get out.

I've over wintered nucs in a heated garage before. I can easily feed them without getting bees flying around inside the garage. The nucs have access to the outside through tubes running through the windows - just like an OB hive. On cold days the bees will walk out to the entrance and immediately know its too cold to fly, so I haven't seen dead bees and populations stay strong. Keep in mind, I live in Virginia, and we will typically have days each month where the bees can fly. This might be an unmanagable approach for localities where it was too cold to fly for months at a time.

Cold is not my enemy it is wet.

I think you will end up with dead nucs. Unless the ends are open or the sided rolled up it will get warm enough the bees will think it is time to get to work. Most will either find a way out or kill themselves trying to get out.

Tom

I keep them in an unheated garage and take them for a walk on warm days. Feed with dry sugar to reduce moisture issues.