Hybrid View

Default Swarms, cutouts in Fl.

I am a bee keeper in Ft Myers, Fl and I have just been informed by Mr Michael Page, who is the Bureau Chief of the State Entomology and Pest Control Department that beekeepers can no longer remove honey bees from other peoples property. Period, no exceptions. It makes no difference if they do it for free or charge for the services even tho they have the owners permission. I was informed that he will vigorously prosecute anyone violating his decree.
    Mr Page has arbitrarily decided that honey bees are now pests and as such are governed by the laws of Pest Control. This means that all wild bees are to be killed instead of taken to a bee yard where they can be managed and made into useful, productive pollinators and honey producers.
    For what its worth
    Joe

Default Re: Swarms, cutouts in Fl.

If this comes to fruition, the man....... is an idiot.
    It is my guess he would have a real hard time prosecuting anyone.
    On second thought, he is an idiot already.

Actually that is not true Joe. You can collect swarms. You cannot collect feral colonies unless you are working under a pest control operator or get the license. If they get the law changed, which Mike Page initiated in a meeting in your town, you will be able to collect feral colonies as long as you are in compliance.
    Name calling is pretty ignorant when you do not know the facts. It is very easy to prosecute when a homeowner complains or a news truck comes by and takes names. There were several incidents in Joe's region of want-to-be beekeepers that fit your definition Beeman. They are actually causing municipalities in South Florida to fight the law allowing beekeeping anywhere in Florida. The second half of the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is Consumer Service. Several really bad bee removal incidents happened in a short period of time. The President can deny responsibility for 4 years, but we do not live like that in Florida.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

AmericasBeekeeper,
    I did not make this up.
    I was told point blank by Larry Mitchell, an employee of the State that Mr Page had decided that there would be no bee removals of any kind except by licensed PCO.
    He did imply that this was a recent reversal of position.
    The best guess on getting a license procedure set up and functioning is for bee keepers is 1 year and a half, minimum. Until then, only PCOs
    Joe

So, Gary, does this mean that we can't do it for free? Whats involved in getting the license?

Larry is behind the times. There was plenty of misinformation at the meeting. It should be no surprise it is continuing. It was always illegal just not enforced.
    Dozens of beekeepers were present at the meeting Mike Page hosted in Fort Myers several weeks ago. Actually several county extension offices of beekeepers joined in too. Gary Ranker and Keith Councell were there for the Florida State Beekeepers Association. Beekeepers Association of Southwest Florida had a good representation also. I would have thought one of them would share the information.
    The decision was made to work on a special exemption, change of law, to allow beekeepers to remove feral colonies.
    You can as of the meeting remove swarms.
    I am in Apiary Inspection, not AES (pest control) AES and UF will develop "licensing"
    The new exemptiion will not be possible until the next Farm Bill is approved. If you want to be able tell your representatives. If you say nothing the PCOs, pest control lobby will definitely have the louder voice. They were represented at the meeting as well. All Florida Bee Removal was quite vocal at the meeting and will be in Tallahasee in opposition to beekeepers removing any bees.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

You're right there AB.
    I violated my own policy. Never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.