Hybrid View

Default a start towards a sideline/commercial business

Hello i would like to know if there is anyone who could shed some light towards what i should do to grow into a larger scale honey producer and other hive products, this being my first year, i love it. ( Other than a business plan ) I am working on that. my concern is what type of schooling does a person require to get into this scale of beekeeping?

Ben

Default Re: a start towards a sideline/commercial business

Ben all the threads I have seen on this report the value of a mentor, and working in a successful operation to gain experience. If you are talking about being a large scale honey producer, do you reside in (or could you move to) an area capable of producing large yields per hive?

How about offering Stan Sandler some free help. He's one of the larger apiaries on Nova Scotia.

I wish he was closer, he's in Prince Edward Island : ) i have heard of him a while ago , but never really thought about taking the 4+ hour drive to the island to meet him.

Ben

Ahh, sorry. I thought Stan was on Nova Scotia. No other commercials around?

there is 2 i know of , but they are too busy to care about me . oh well i will do things as i always have, by myself and knowledge from books. And now from beesource too : )

by the way i made a double nuc from your video you put up on wintering nucs, i made it out of regular 10 frame deeps and the second deep is divided too, but i put a queen excluder on the bottom box and screened both dividers with a 2 inch hole , both sides were screened so the queens couldn't reach each other, and i also have a medium honey super on them without a divider and you are right they don't fight, so i also have them sharing a Fat Bee Man top feeder. Seems to work fine, i was worried about drainage though, do you have issues with that or do you have screened openings?

Ben