Default Plan for next year

I currently have 1 large hive. It is about 7 about to be 8 boxes high. I would've gotten honey out of it this year and prevented putting more boxes on but I have a plan for next year. I am wanting to go from 1 hive to 3 hives. I want to purchase one 3lb package of bees with queen and I want to purchase a queen and split my current hive. I also want to supply honey for the new two hives from my current large hive. Do you think this is possible? My next question is how to pull off a split and how to add honey from one hive to another?

Default Re: Plan for next year

Tucker,

Judging by the questions you're asking, you're probably better off getting two packages in the spring and then learning how to do splits once you get more experience. Michael Bush has a great website on doing splits. http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Thumbs Up Re: Plan for next year

Whatever tack you take, you must insure the small hive beetle and wax moth do not get to your stored frames. You might have to freeze them to kill the eggs and larva hiding in there and store the frames where they won't be found by those little buggars.

I suspect extracting the honey now and feeding in Spring is the best option.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Don't buy packages, get established Nucs. You will be a lot further ahead for your plan with Nucs.

Quote Originally Posted by tucker0104 View Post
    My question is how to pull off a split and how to add honey from one hive to another?
    You've got all winter to read more about this topic. I suggest starting with the post by MattDavey (post #8) in this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...Splitting-Hive

And yes, at the same time, you can take a frame or two of honey (and if available, empty comb) to give to the new package. I'd brush off the bees from the original hive before putting that frame in with the new package.

More good reading here:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Theoretically you could easily make two splits from a hive that big and not have buy any bees. But, as always with bees things do not always go as planned. I would order one package or Nuc which ever one you are more comfortable with as insurance.

Lburou brings up a good point. As the bee numbers begin to shrink for winter they may not have enough bees to protect so much comb.

Thanks for all the advice. If I limit the entrance would that minimize the chance that moth would get in there? If I have 7 full boxes of brood and honey, how many boxes should I leave on for the winter?