Thread: Advice needed

Hybrid View

Default Advice needed

I live central Va.I have to two 10 frame deeps plus one medium super on.Super is full of sugar honey,capped and not capped.Second deep has nector in center two frame and and brood on both sides . Eggs ,larva and caped brood at diff. stages. 1st deep ahs lot of pollen and some nector.Can I leave the super on for winter or can I take it off now .Will they have enough time to build up honey for winter in the two deeps. Thanks

Default Re: Advice needed

The bees have things roughly as nature tells them. The pollen is on the bottom where they will need it in the spring when they start to expand their broodnest. The super of sugar syrup is probably their winter reserve. I don't see how you can take it off now. If you have any flows still possible they may put some more stores in the upper deep before moving down. Personally, I would feed them untill the whole colony weighs about 150 pounds, boxes, bees and all. That is almost certainly more than they will need, but bees in the spring are more expensive than the sugar to make it happen. Now hunt up a local old beekeeper and have him tell you what to do. His advice will be better.

Thanks Vance, going to meeting the 1st of month.

Kes,
    Little north of you in southern Md. I have several hives set up like that. A full medium will weigh 40 to 50 lbs. They will need more than that and probably have it in the two deeps and still adding to it. I am still getting nectar coming in from golden rod and yellow beard, but it is on it's way out. I can't imagine a hive around here putting away a medium of honey before cold sets in.(a least not one of mine) The lower temps slow the ripening process down as well. The bees are backfilling from the top down with stores and then through the winter will move up to get to the honey. Just curious, why would you want to remove sugar honey?

Kes, I certainly agree with Vance and Rick, leave the super on the hive, your bees will have good stores to take them through the winter and early brood rearing in the spring. It is late in the season, the fall flow will be over soon and the bees are busy arranging the hive for winter, to bother them now might be detrimental. A good time to spin out this super would be in the spring perhaps a week before the big spring honey flow is to start, then you can store the sugar honey as a feed supplement for fall feeding if necessary. This would give you drawn comb to use for this spring flow.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

I'm wondering if by spring, the bees will have pretty much used what is left for the brood build up before the flow. Another thought/option, if any frames are left, pull and store and replace with new foundation or whatever you choose to use. They will draw that out pretty quick in a flow. I just like to have some frames of capped honey for start ups and feed back to the needy later. Nice to have options You would not want to accidentally spin that out with honey I believe is where WWW is coming from. It does take away some from the crop to draw comb.

Just been reading that alot of people say winter on two deeps.Thanks