Default Some REALLY dark honey in Western New York

We started extracting this week - best year so far in 5 years! We have 7 hives - 4 overwintered and 3 new hives started from scratch this summer. Still got about 20 supers full - mix of shallows and mediums. All of our honey in years past has been a beautiful delicate light gold color with a wonderful flavor. This year we're getting a lot of supers full of REALLY dark honey with a strong flavor! My husband is wondering about a buckwheat field that's almost 2 miles away, but otherwise we don't know of anything else that's different. Anyone else having this happen? We're in Wyoming County, south of Buffalo and Rochester.

Default Re: Some REALLY dark honey in Western New York

Hi, Most likely bamboo-japanese knotweed.usually produces really well on dry years. we had an abundance here also.
    Nick

We had the best year also, was this your only extraction this year? our summer honey was very dark this year because of low moisture this year.
    so if it was a mix with summer and fall that maybe the reason for the dark honey.

I took some honey from one of my hives in late July and it was very dark and thick. Some of the best honey I have ever had. I gave it to friends and neighbors and they all loved it ! Now they are knocking my door down wanting more. If you have any left I would like to buy some.

If it has a reddish color when held to the light, it may be Tulip Poplar. At least that is what I was told by more experienced beeks.

My dad likes buckwheat honey, it is extremely dark. I think that is grown in NY.

I wondered about the bamboo, there's a lot of that here in this area now. However, after talking to a beekeeper friend, we decided it was definitely buckwheat. I'm starting on some supers now that were on top for the later flows, and the honey is much much lighter - light gold and delicate - my favorite.

Well, if you need to get rid of some buckwheat I know someone who likes it! It is an acquired taste I guess. I would rather have sourwood.