Default Medium frames in Bushkill swarm trap?

Greetings:
    Does anyone a think it would be a good (or terrible) idea to put medium frames into the buskill swarm trap? I'm building the "bush kill swarm trap 2" which is 15" deep and designed for deep frames with space below the frames, but I would like to run all medium equipment. The only issue I could think of is if I don't get to the trap quick enough, bees may build comb below the frames. Any thoughts? Maybe the designer himself could chime in? Thanks.
    - Adam

Default Re: Medium frames in Bushkill swarm trap?

Not the best idea, but, it will work. If you catch a swarm and you don't find them quick enough, they will build comb onto the bottom bar down to bee space on the bottom board. No problem there, you can simply cut the comb off the bottom bar and place the frames in your medium boxes. Then rubber band that comb that you cut off, if it has brood on it, onto other medium frames just like in a cutout.

cchoganjr

Maybe I should do two layers of medjum frames. There is enough room in the box, I may just have to make the upper frame supports removable in order to get the lower frames out. Thoughts?

Anything longer than your mediums will make it more difficult to move the frames into your medium box.

You would be better off to let them drop the comb, and just cut the comb off the bottom bar. Then save the comb or discard it. Unless you go several days before you find them, they will not likely drop that much comb. Very likely only on one frame so they can traverse from bottom board to brood.

cchoganjr