Default Wax melt in progress...

Hi,
    I read up on BeeSource earlier this week about ways to melt wax. Since I haven't built my solar melter yet I decided using the double boiler method would be the way to go for now. Here's what I've got so far. I took 8 frames of empty drawn out comb out of my shop freezer. 1 comb has about a 3' round area of capped honey. Some of the comb is newly drawn other combs are the darker brood comb. Some of the comb has wax moth webbing. It's all in the double boiler and there's a nice puddle in the bottom. My questions are these:
    1) Some of it is sitting in the melted liquid but doesn't seem to be melting any further. Just give it more time?
    2) What's the best way to get rid of all the debris in the mix (pollen, honey, etc.)? Filter through cheesecloth as I dump it into the little molds?

Any other tips for me?

Thanks!

Default Re: Wax melt in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by HiveMind View Post
    1) Some of it is sitting in the melted liquid but doesn't seem to be melting any further. Just give it more time? I'd give it more time. If it's wax, it will melt eventually.

2) What's the best way to get rid of all the debris in the mix (pollen, honey, etc.)? Filter through cheesecloth as I dump it into the little molds? Pour it through your strainer into a large enough container to hold it all. Then, once clean re-melt and pour into the smaller containers.

Any other tips for me?

Thanks!
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by HiveMind View Post
    Hi,
    Originally Posted by HiveMind

1) Some of it is sitting in the melted liquid but doesn't seem to be melting any further. Just give it more time? I'd give it more time. If it's wax, it will melt eventually.

2) What's the best way to get rid of all the debris in the mix (pollen, honey, etc.)? Filter through cheesecloth as I dump it into the little molds? Pour it through your strainer into a large enough container to hold it all. Then, once clean re-melt and pour into the smaller containers.

Any other tips for me?

Thanks!Thanks!

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

Hivemind, if you want to put together a quick and dirty solar wax melter that will do a fantastic job with small volumes until you build your permanent one check out this thread. My Rinky Dink Styrofoam Solar Wax Melter (Patent Pending)

It is simple to put together and most parts come from the dollar store. The wax that resulted in one melt was exceptionally clean...really impressed me.

Best wishes,
    Ed

Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up with some nice wax cakes. Love the rinky dink wax melter idea too!

My double boiler is bowl shaped. I fish the pollen out with a piece of aluminum window screen. It is 2 inches by 7 inches with a fold for half its length.

Works very well to get all big chunks. A few fines are left.

Let wax cool and harden. Slightly melt exterior and wax cake comes out.

Virtually no clean up.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!