Default where to buy small pollen patties?

Hey all,

I only have the one hive (2 deeps) and don't see a lot of pollen on the incomming girls, (if any).

I did take a fast look inside the top deep and saw that the center 5 or 6 foundations have comb built up but not much on the outer ones.

Do you think I need to be giving supplimental pollen patties (I have been giving them 2:1 sugar with a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar, every 3 or 4 days).

At first they took the syrup very fast...but now a lot slower. Is this because there is not enough storage?

Where is a good source locally in the NE of FL to buy the pollen.

Concerned,

Bobby

Default Re: where to buy small pollen patties?

I'm not sure you need them, isn't there a bunch of irrigated lawns with lots of orntamentals near you? The hives I have in my neighborhood bring in more pollen than hives elsewhere.

Of you want to try them here is what I've learned. Disclaimer- I'm not a pro and have limited experience.

I bought dry pollen sub.
    Mix it with a very high concentration of sugar and add attractant like honey bee healthy.
    Feed in very small amounts just a couple golf ball size fairly moist patties to start.
    It needs to be consumed very quickly here or the SHB will find it and lay eggs in it.

I believe it will help with the production of brood and drones going into the colder months. (if that's something you want).

When you say dry pollen Sob.....you mean pollen powder you can get at a health food store?

I used this and the cheaper formula

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...es/page43.html

You can just buy a 5 lb lot of patties and cut them up to whatever size you think is good (I'd use 1/4 of a patty on that sized cluster) and store the rest in the freezer. That's what I do, using have a patty when I start a swarm on foundation and half a pound per hive in the late summer dearth.

Peter

Gonna have to find a local supplier....that will cost me $15 in shipping alone...jez

If you order $100.00 from them shipping is free.

OK! I made some Pollen cakes!

I used the recipe from here http://www.eatingrules.com/2011/10/honey-bee-healthy/ for H-B-H (down towards the bottom) and took a cup of that and added sugar till it wouldn't take anymore on the stove (almost 3:1) . Then I added pollen I got at the health food store ($10.00 for a big plastic container of it) and kept adding that little by little to 1 TSP of the syrup (using a fork) till it was a very still dough texture.

I put a little in a water bottle top and gave it to the bees at the entrance.....they were on it like a tick to a hound dog!

DSCN1277.jpg

Gonna make a few of them into balls and put in the freezer.

AUXCOM what is the name on the pollen that you got from the health food store? Thanks Steve
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Hey Steve,

It's called "Bee Pollen powder" with papaya powder. made by Y.S. Bee Farms dietary suppliment...lol for humans.

Bob