Hybrid View

Default Visual for the 2 deeps for wintering?

What should my 2 deeps(the frames specifically) consist of for over winter?....... Will they look the same(top and bottom box)?........ Should both deeps have frames open for clustering and then the stores on either side?.... Should the bottom deep be the only box not filled full with honey to allow for clustering?

I assumed the bottom deep of frames is mostly open with a few frames of stores and the top box should be all full of pollen and capped stores. Please correct me if I am wrong. If anyone has a picture or other visual to better explain, that helps me even more. Thanks, juzzerbee

Default Re: Visual for the 2 deeps for wintering?

hhhhhhhhhh
    hheeeeeehh

Something like that. The bees will know how they want to set things up, but that is the basic idea. Honey storage in the top deep. In the bottom deep honey at the sides with clustering combs in the middle. How the amount of empty combs will vary.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

Dan- Thnaks for that, it didn't take me long to decode your response, but at first it thought you replied with laughter! As of now my hives look to be setting up for the pattern that you suggested. If they are not to that pattern mostly, would you keep feeding them? I was feeding for the past 10 days, but stopped on 1 hive because it seemed like they had a lot stored. Also, is there usually a common area where the pollen will be stored or is it mixed in throughout the frames?

Since you are in my general area, and a bit north. Usually what time/when do your Queens start to slow down or stop laying for the winter? Have you seen a change yet this year? Thanks, juzzerbee

I'm just responding so I can keep track of all your questions.....I'm new to bees. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kellymt View Post
    I'm just responding so I can keep track of all your questions.....I'm new to bees. Thanks!
    For that just go to the top of the thread and in "Thread Tools" select "Subscribe to this thread" and follow the instructions there.

This is from The Hive and the Honeybee. I would estimate this colony has 50 pounds of stores. In Vermont, and probably Wisconsin, the bees need more than that. I leave a medium depth super full above what you see in the picture. You could feed them until they have enough, and still winter in two deeps.