Hybrid View

Default We just got a swarm. Have some ?'s

My bud and I retrieved our first swarm from near his hives this evening.
    Its fairly small and was placed into a 10 frame deep with foundation for tonight and a screen over the opening for ventilation.

We are thinking these bees won't survive the winter but are going to give them a chance by placing them into a Nuc.
    I brought them home, reversed the inner cover and placed some honey on it that came from his hives till I can start them on syrup.

Am planning to put them into half of a divided 10 frame deep tomorrow morning that has a nuc already started in the other half. It consists of two boxes of 4 frames each on that side

My friend has 6 medium and 4 shallow frames of capped honey that he kept in the freezer as a resource if needed.
    Even though it's a deep Nuc, I'm going to place some of the medium frames of capped honey into it and maybe some empty deep frames of drawn comb.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Allen; 09-27-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Default Re: We just got a swarm. Have some ?'s

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Sounds like you have a good plan. The one thing I would add is some pollen patties. Since this is a small colony, they will need numbers. If you have it to spare, a frame of brood would be a huge boost.

Shane

they won't get to draw much if any comb, so hopefully you have some. capped brood would be perfect, a frame a week for 2-3 weeks.

edit: sorry read your post too fast. comb, i would say capped brood, and honey. probably a long shot but fun to try.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I always read about how swarms seem to be focused on building up their new colony so thats why we are going to try.

Oh yeah, forgot about brood. I can spare some from the other 5 hives.
    If I would have had my Nucs started last spring I could have used them as support.

Since the swarm is going to be given so much capped honey, what syrup ratio should I feed them?
    If 1-1, wouldn't that stimulate drawing some comb?
    Those medium frames going in the deep boxes might get some comb drawn underneath it and hope they don't attach it to the bottom board.

My friend has been getting ready for a wedding and hasn't had much time to take check his hives.
    I may go through them this weekend to try and figure out which one swarmed.

i'm a good bit south of you, and my bees haven't drawn any new comb for weeks. i think it has to be warm, and they would need perceive the need for more comb ahead of or during a strong flow. the bees are gearing up for winter now, and are adjusting their population and stores in anticipation having to survive a long cold spell with no forage. feeding might confuse them on that. plus, syrup is not as nutritious as honey, and i would think it would be better to be on the best diet possible right now. these next rounds of brood have to be very long-lived bees. when do you get your first frost up there?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Not sure on first frost but I think it'll be November.
    I have a Nuc that started in early August and they are still drawing comb.
    We have lots of goldenrod still blooming so maybe they can bring some pollen in on their own.

Here is a blurry photo of the tiny cluster. It was getting dark when it was taken.