Thread: Maxant 3100 P

Default Maxant 3100 P

Anyone have any experiences with this extractor (good or bad)? I have +-25 hives and at age 61 plan on just keeping that many...... From the website, it looks like 6 deep frames sitting inside side (2 side by side). I'm having a hard time picturing 9 in there or are there baskets?

Does this one come with the new, longer legs?

Thanks!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Default Re: Maxant 3100 P

Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

it fits 9 medium frames but not 9 deeps

I have this extractor and it holds 9 medium frames but 6 radial and 3 tangent I just use 6 frames
    really like it it is small enough to move around and seams made well I have had it 2 seasons
    but if you are going to extract from 25 hives run for honey you will be extracting between 50 - 75 (2 to 3 per hive) suppers which makes 500 - 750 frames at 6 frames a load and about 20-25 min a run long time will be needed get a 20 framer
    my 2 cents
    David

I used my maxant 3100 with a hand crank for the first time this year. We extracted 65 frames. The legs were strong and stable, had very little trouble with wobble. Time for extracting isn't an issue for me. I de-cap by hand so by the time I had 6 frames ready the wife was unloading the emptys from the extractor. She had wait on me a couple of times. So unless I get a lot faster with the hot knife, the 6 framer will carry me fine. I also like the tangental baskets to spin my cappings. I got some of the capping bags and spun 'til I dropped. It's an excellent extractor, but I will spring for the motor before next honey run.

I have had good luck with my Maxant 3100P. I did two extractions this year and it worked well both times. (of course, I learn more each time I try). After the first extraction, I mounted it to a wooden pallet to help with the out-of-balance wobble thing. That seemed to have helped some. I may try three casters next (as outlined on another thread). You can see my experiences on my blog. But I am a happy camper.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

I was going to post my experience with this unit and saw this thread. A word of advice to those who are thinking about this unit. If you are a small time guy with a few hives, this unit is WAY WAY overkill. A small 2 frame hand crank or 4 frame hand crank would suffice. I am hoping to grow into this unit as I only had 4 frames. Also I do not have the experience of others on this board so writeup is through the eyes of a new beekeeper.

The made in Taiwan electric motor hummed along and had a variable speed setting or a full power setting. Worked well. The unit itself worked well and was functional, though its a no frills, not pretty extractor. I had thought at first I was sent a used one, as there was a sealant of some kind splattered on the bottom, as well as in a circle around the bottom weld joint. Also a touch of what looked like rust was seen in a few places. This may be discoloration from welding, or at least one would hope so.

I worried some about the splattered sealant, thinking it was spilled and should not be there. Last thing I wanted was contaminated honey. A quick call got Jake on the line and he explained it was normal to see that. The two extactors I have seen didnt have this so I was concerned.

I opened it up and worked on figuring the correct way to put the frames in. After a few minutes I had the frames in and was ready to spin. It worked well and spun out my frames fairly well.

What I didnt like about it:

If you need to remove the frames, and they happen to be in a place under the top bar, you cant hand spin it to remove. You need to move it electrically to get frames out. Someone with this unit if there is a way please let me know. Not a huge ordeal but would be good if I could spin them by hand.

In order to remove the basket, there are two bolts that need to be undone and the electrical unit lifts off. Also here someone let me know if this is avoidable. This is kind of a pain.

I am assuming these items are inherent to all electrical extractors though.

What I liked:

Worked as advertised. I was able to lift it and move it around for now at least. I didnt have a balance issue. It didnt walk. Seems solid. Ill have it for a good number of years and hope to fully utilize the space.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Modem View Post
    I may try three casters next (as outlined on another thread).
    Put mine on casters. I highly recommend it.

I have a 3100, and sometimes the motor sounds like it's bogging down or is just plain going to stop. The heavier the load, the worse it gets. Has anyone else had this happen, or did I just get a bum motor? (Last year we used the hand crank, but this year we bought the add-on motor from Maxant, so this is the first year we were motorized)

Our motor does change pitch when running, but doesn't appear to slow down much. Then it picks back up in speed.
    Had ours a couple years am happy with it but wish we got the larger one. We only extract honey from 10 hives.
    Dan