Default How to reduce to 2 deeps?

I have a hive with 2 deeps, 1 medium super that I left on the hive because it had brood on three frames and 1 medium super that I extracted and then put back on the hive for the bees to clean up. What is the best way to remove the bees from the top super that has been extracted and cleaned? And what is the best way to remove the bees and get them all into the lower 2 deeps from the medium super above them? I assume I don't want to remove the bees from the lower medium super unless the brood has all hatched and there is no new brood. I am trying to get them into the two deeps for Winter.

Default Re: How to reduce to 2 deeps?

Escape board or fume board will do it.

If you don't have those just shake the bees off the frames in front of the hive.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

For those frames in the medium that still may have brood, shake all the bees from it out over or in front of the hive, place an excluder on the top deep and set the medium with the brood back on........the brood will hatch out shortly then just pull the medium off...............
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

The top medium can be leaned against the bottom board and picked up at dark thirty. The bees will vacate it volentarily.

Before you remove the medium of mostly honey, you need to check the bottom deep. Brood in lower medium is an indication that they are not using the lower deep. If the bottom deep is basically empty or mostly pollen, you might want to leave the lower medium in place for wintering honey.

Walt
    Opinions are free, and almost worth the cost.

Thanks Walt. I will take a look at the bottom deep.

Well I took the top medium off and put it on another hive with 2 deeps. I have feeders on both and will plan to winter them with 2 deeps and a medium. I still have a weak hive that I may put in a Nuc and study up on wintering Nucs. The weak hive has not been taking any syrup from the Mann Lake top feeder so I took it off and am trying a pail feeder......hopefully they will like that better.