Hybrid View

Default the old "hive moving" question

Last night I moved my 6 colonies out of the area I had them in over the summer. I moved them where they would get the earliest possible light in the winter to start warming up. I also split them up from all 6 being a foot a part to groups of 2. The were moved 40, 60, and 80 feet from where I had them. I put buckets and tops in front of the hives to mark the new spots and branches and limbs on the porches where they would have to crawl through them to get out.

I just went out and there are still hundreds of bees swarming and on the ground at the old site. I was told and read that they would start circling the area in larger circles until they found their hives, within reason.

I havent doomed these bees that were on "auto-pilot" have I?

Default Re: the old "hive moving" question

Most of those are probably foragers who stayed the night out and didn't get the memo. Last time I moved my hive, I left the stand and put a single box there, collected the 200 or so bees that had gathered there a couple days later and took them home, they went right in.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmoving.htm#between

You have to get them to reorient. Put an empty box there, move them next door to the new location after dark and put a branch in front of both the new location and the box. You need them to pay attention when they leave...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I read your page before the move and thought I had it covered... I broke weeds and tops so they would have to crawl through them to get out and I also put buckets or out covers in front so they would have a large, noticable landmark when leaving. Using JRG's suggestion, I left a box there and the next night carried several hundred bees to a new home!

I still see bees returning, but when they realize where they are, the fly to the new locations without landing at the old spot... silly autopilot...