Default I have got to stop doing this.....

I went up to South Carolina to pick up a load of jars yesterday. I must quit doing this. I believe that it takes five years off my life each time. I’m the guy driving on the expressway at fifty miles per hour, with his flashers on, with an unbelievably tall pile of boxes in the trailer. With each bump and dip and gust of wind it sways and looks sure to topple. And while it’s wrapped with clear plastic, the wrapping continues to shred along the way. And there’s one box on the tip top of the pile that, at speeds over fifty three, begins to bounce uncontrollably and looks sure to pull loose…almost certainly unraveling the entire load and filling the highway with boxes of glass jars. Aiyiyiyiyi!
    And the state troopers flew by and never give me a second look....I can't believe they didn't pull me over......and the tractor trailers blew by and I think it was a game with them, to see which could cause the greatest wind. They probably had a bet going as to who could blow the entire load out of the trailer.
    And, although I kept one eye on the road and the other on the load, I somehow saw the people in the passenger seats of passing suv's cringing, clearly fearful that the lunatic in the truck was sure to drop a box or two on them.
    Did I mention that I've got to stop doing this?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Default Re: I have got to stop doing this.....

It's all fun and games till somebody loses an eye...
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

fwiw, I solved my fear of hauling a load of jars in the back of my pickup.... I got some 5' long 1x4's, screwed two together to make a corner, kinda like this: L. I'd stack my boxes, put a cheap tarp over them, them put those corner braces on, one at each corner, and rachet strap the load together. Then I ran a couple rachet straps over the top. Load never shifts, never bounces, and I travel merrily along!
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by mike haney View Post
    It's all fun and games till somebody loses an eye...
    I can’t argue with that….lose an eye or worse. Actually there was nothing fun about it. This is why I sweated every mile of the trip.
    There is a bit more to the story. For all the reasons mentioned, anxiety and risk, several years ago I made a deal with a somewhat nearby Uhaul outfit. I would rent trucks during the week when they had plenty sitting idly and they would discount the mileage rate. So I made my reservation for yesterday’s truck, reminding them of our deal, then that morning I drove the 25miles to pick it up. It was a new group of people…and they refused to honor the price. List price or nothing. The fact that they blindsided me convinced me that I’d never spend another buck with Uhaul. I’d told the warehouse I’d be there by 11…so I drove home, hooked up the trailer and away I went.
    If they had told me when I made the reservation that they wouldn’t honor the price and I’d had time to consider it, I probably would have rented the truck anyway. But, as they waited until I arrived, potentially wasting a 50 mile round trip and 1 ½ hours of my time…got me so po’d that I didn’t consider all the issues.
    Truth be told, I unnecessarily risked my own and other motorists' well being. To be sure, my next trip will be in a rented, enclosed truck…just not one of Uhaul’s.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

StevenG, I usually strap everything six ways to Sunday (whatever that phrase means) but these were boxes of glass jars.....lots of them.
    Anyone who has ever travelled with me on one of these trips would tell you that I'm ordinarily overcautious but in this case I let my temper override my judgement....which is probably how lots of folks get into trouble.

Dan, I understand. The first time I picked up a hundred cases of glass jars, I also tied them everywhich way to Sunday... still the shifted on me. That's when I devised the wooden corner braces, and tarp idea. Tarp keeps the tops ones in, the corner braces keep everything locked together. The last time I picked up a load, it filled the bed side to side, and was 6' high. No shifting or problems at all with the new system. fwiw. And if you have a pickup, 8 pieces of wood are a lot cheaper than renting a trailer or a truck.
    Regards,
    Steven
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 09-26-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: please read beesource rules
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow