Thread: Wax Melting

Default Wax Melting

A really simple question: How do you melt bees wax? I have tried a crock pot-wife threatened my life if I used hers-so I bought one at a thrift shop. First I tried just dumping in the cappings and burr comb and started it out on low. That ended up a cantaloupe size ball of sticky goo that really smelled great. The pet raccoon had treats for two months off that.
    Next I reasoned that wax would float and the remaining honey and detrius would sink if I put water in the crock pot and then heated.Same results except wetter. I stored last years-its still in the freezer and we are about two weeks away from our fall extraction after the golden rain trees bloom.
    Help!

Default Re: Wax Melting

Look up fatbeeman on YouTube. He has some great directions.

If your crock pot will muster 150 degrees it will produce a cake of wax on top after the cappings are melted and cooled. If it won't it is broken!

I did a small amount in a coffee pot, but it took all night. Try turning your crockpot up onto high setting.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Crock pot are set a little low.
    Try a deep fat fryer turned down low. raise the temp until you get the melt you want.
    Many candle makes use those.
    Don't use the fry basket that comes with them. The french fries are terrible!!!
    Old Guy in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by jrbbees View Post
    The french fries are terrible!!!
    Yes you are correct I find them a bit waxy.

I found a double steamer pot that has a spout on the side of the top pot and it works great. Wax melts and drips out the side. Crap stays in the top pot. I use a screen and dump it out. So all i get is brown water and clean wax dripping out into a sheet rock tray.

I use a $29 microwave from Wal-mart and a big pyrex measuring bowl. Seems to be working so far. It is a three-step process. First I melt the wax without adding anything and pour this into a zip-lok bowl. The wax separates from the remaining honey as it cools. I remove the wax and remelt it this time in water, again letting it cool in a zip-lok plastic bowl. The third time I just remelt the wax in the microwave by itself and then pour it through a strainer into the bowl. Once this cools, I have a nice chunk of pretty clean wax. The zip-lok bowls are flexible so you can easily get the wax to release from the sides, plus they are cheap and disposable. The honey collected from the first step I save and give to a friend to use for mead-making.

This is still experimental so I am not recommending this method to anyone. Just interested if anyone else is using (or has used) a similar method.
    life is finite while knowledge is infinite. - Zhuang Zi

Pot (large) fill with water bring to boil.
    Place wax, cappings, junk in boiling water and stir.
    honey will disolve, some crude will sink some will float under wax...
    Let cool I find larger amounts are easier to work with scrape junk off underside of wax brick... let it totally cool messing with it while warm makes a mess.

Once clean repeat and pour through several layers cheese cloth then let cool.

I use a crock with water and put the wax in a painters net, put it on high and pull the net while it is hot, let it drain take it to the varmints and dump it out. I only put enough wax in to make about a 1 inch wax cake. Once all the wax is done i will render again with clean water to clean the wax up. The honey water from the first rendering is fed back to the bees.

I bought a cheap 2-quart saucepan for Walmart, teflon lined. I put it in the oven at 175 degrees. A saucepan is easier to pour the melted wax out of compared to a crock pot.
    Last edited by Nabber86; 09-27-2012 at 07:24 AM.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

melt in a turkey fryer, pour through a paint strainer into a container it can cool/separate. You might have to repeat, depending on your final use of the wax.
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

Solar Wax Melter
    Lay the cappings on paper towels.
    http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...ar-wax-melter/